Center of mass, forces and momentum

In summary, center of mass is the point at which the mass of an object is concentrated and can be used to simplify the analysis of forces acting on the object. Forces are described as any push or pull that can cause an object to move or change its motion. Momentum is the product of an object's mass and velocity and is a measure of its motion. The total momentum of a closed system is conserved, meaning it remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. This principle is known as the law of conservation of momentum and is a fundamental concept in physics.
Pseudo Statistic
1) A force F = A/t^2 acts on an object. At time t = t_o its momentum is 0. What is its momentum after a very long time?
First I used Newton's second law:
dP/dt = A/t^2
Then
t^2 dP = A dt
dP = A/t^2 dt
And I took the integral of both sides, the left from 0 to P, the right from t_o to t...
P = -A/t + A/t_o
So as t-> infinity, P -> A/t_o. That's what I got. Is this correct?

2) Picture: http://www.brokendream.net/xh4/com.JPG
A wire is bent like a triangle with side lengths d at 45 degrees from the horizontal.
What is the y co-ordinate of the center of mass?
What I thought to do is to treat the center of mass as the centroid, taking the elements to be the length of each wire.
So I did:
y_com = [d*(d sin 45)/2 + d*(d sin 45)/2]/(2d) = (d sin 45)/2 = 0.35355d.
Is this correct?

3) Picture: http://www.brokendream.net/xh4/kidswing.JPG
With what force must the child pull down on the string if the combined mass of the child and the swing is W? Neglect friction from the pulley.
I'm guessing, from F = ma, 2T - W = 0 and thus T = W/2 is the force?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Pseudo Statistic said:
1) A force F = A/t^2 acts on an object. At time t = t_o its momentum is 0. What is its momentum after a very long time?
First I used Newton's second law:
dP/dt = A/t^2
Then
t^2 dP = A dt
dP = A/t^2 dt
And I took the integral of both sides, the left from 0 to P, the right from t_o to t...
P = -A/t + A/t_o
So as t-> infinity, P -> A/t_o. That's what I got. Is this correct?

I'm not sure about your method here, why have you attempted to separate variables when there is only one? (I'm assuming A is a constant) In which case it would be sufficent to do;

[tex] P = \int \frac{dP}{dt} \; dt = \int \frac{A}{t^2} \; dt[/tex]

And evaluate it. Also, I think your question may require a qualative answer, such as; "When t is very large, the momentum is very small".

~H

Pseudo Statistic said:
3) Picture: http://www.brokendream.net/xh4/kidswing.JPG
With what force must the child pull down on the string if the combined mass of the child and the swing is W? Neglect friction from the pulley.
I'm guessing, from F = ma, 2T - W = 0 and thus T = W/2 is the force?

Thank you.

Spot on, vector sum of force must equal zero.

~H

Hootenanny said:
I'm not sure about your method here, why have you attempted to separate variables when there is only one? (I'm assuming A is a constant) In which case it would be sufficent to do;

[tex] P = \int \frac{dP}{dt} \; dt = \int \frac{A}{t^2} \; dt[/tex]

And evaluate it. Also, I think your question may require a qualative answer, such as; "When t is very large, the momentum is very small".

~H
Dunno, guess I'm just used to doing this from the way my physics teacher does it. :P
Anyway, it is a quantitative answer. (It was on a test)

Ahh, sorry I didn't see this line;

dP = A/t^2 dt

I thought you where trying to integrate this
t^2 dP = A dt
for a moment :confused:. Anyway, I worked through it and my answer agrees with yours.

~H

Yes Pseudostatic, your method and answer are absolutely correct.

[tex] P = \int \frac{dP}{dt} \; dt = \int \frac{A}{t^2} \; dt[/tex]And evaluate it.
Yes Hoot, that's exactly what the OP has done. The additional term in his final expression is the value of the constant of integration which can be evaluated by letting t= t_0 and thereby P= 0
For the final answer as the OP did let t -> inf. and u know the rest.

Arun

Edit: Ah I guess it was just a small misunderstanding there .

Anyone know about my center of mass question? :)

This is not a triangular sheet and hence the center of mass will not be at centroid. What is the ratio of the mass of three sides?

Pseudo Statistic said:
2) Picture: http://www.brokendream.net/xh4/com.JPG
A wire is bent like a triangle with side lengths d at 45 degrees from the horizontal.
What is the y co-ordinate of the center of mass?
What I thought to do is to treat the center of mass as the centroid, taking the elements to be the length of each wire.
So I did:
y_com = [d*(d sin 45)/2 + d*(d sin 45)/2]/(2d) = (d sin 45)/2 = 0.35355d.
Is this correct?
If your wire "triangle" just has two sides (the top two), then this is correct.

(What you did has nothing to do with the centroid of a triangle though. :smile: )

Well, yeah, it's just those two sides. :D
Great... thanks. Now I know I got atleast 3 multiple-choice questions right on my physics exam. :)

Related to Center of mass, forces and momentum

1. What is the center of mass?

The center of mass is the point in an object where all of its mass can be considered to be concentrated. It is the point at which an object would balance if it were placed on a pivot.

2. How is the center of mass determined?

The center of mass can be determined by finding the average position of all the individual mass elements that make up an object. This can be done using mathematical equations or by physically balancing the object on a pivot and marking the point of balance.

3. What is the relationship between forces and the center of mass?

The center of mass is an important factor in determining the motion of an object when acted upon by external forces. The forces acting on an object can cause it to rotate around its center of mass, and the position of the center of mass can affect the stability of the object.

4. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of the quantity of motion possessed by an object. It is a product of an object's mass and its velocity, and is a vector quantity that has both magnitude and direction.

5. How is momentum conserved in a system?

Momentum is conserved in a system when there are no external forces acting on the system. This means that the total momentum of all the objects in the system before and after a collision or interaction will remain the same, even if the individual momenta of the objects change.