Central Limit Theorem Variation for Chi Square distribution?

In summary: Next, note that1) In the first case, np_1 = np_22) In the second case, np_1 + np_2 is equal to n3) In the third case, np_1 + np_2 + 1 is equal to n4) Finally, summing over all the cases,np_1 = np_2 + nandn = Sum(np_1, np_2, 1)Thus, using the principle of mathematical induction, we can solve for n.
dharavsolanki
Central Limit Theorem Variation for Chi Square distribution?

If this question fits into Homework Help, please move it over there. I'm not too sure.

I encountered the following problem:

An experiment E is performed n times. Each repetition of E results in one and only one of the events Ai, i = 1, 2, 3, ..., k. Suppose that p(Ai) = pi and Let ni be the number of times Ai occurs among the n repetitions of E, n1 + n2 + ... +nk = n.

Also, let D2 = Summation of i from 1 to k of [tex]\frac{(n_i - np_io)^2}{np_io}[/tex]

If n is sufficiently large and if pi = pio then show that the distribution of D2 has approximately the chi square distribution with k-1 degrees of freedom.

Now, this problem seems fairly similar to a simple proof the central limit theorem. I am damn sure that this problem involves finding the mgf of D2, evaluating it and saying that it is the same as the mgf of a chi square function.

Can you help me out with setting up the equation? that'll be a big help! Thank you!

I've given it an attempt, but one attempt at setting up the mgf is all that i ask. Also, if there is any other way which does not involve mgf (i being wrong), please mentione that! Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I have seen a proof of this theorem, which has been proved by assuming the value of the parameter k = 2. Essentially, it just means that the theorem has been proved using ony the asumption tht only two events may occur.

p1 + p2 = 1 and n1 + n2 = n

Using this and substituting in the value of D2, we arrive at a uncture where n1 is defined as sum of j from 1 to n of Yij, where Yij = 1 is A1 occurs on the jth repetition and 0 elsewhere.

Now, central limit theorem is used over the variable n1, and if n is large, it has approximately a normal distribution.

I distinctly remember someone mentioning the use of Principle of Mathematical Induction to solve this problem. Can anyone of you solve this problem using the PMI? Will be a big help! No mgf involved till now!

Begin by looking at the distribution of each

[tex]
\frac{(n_i - np_io)}{\sqrt{np_io}}
[/tex]

and not that even though there are [tex] n [/tex] of them they satisfy one linear relationship.

Related to Central Limit Theorem Variation for Chi Square distribution?

1. What is the Central Limit Theorem Variation for Chi Square distribution?

The Central Limit Theorem Variation for Chi Square distribution is a statistical concept that states that as the sample size increases, the distribution of sample means will approach a normal distribution, regardless of the shape of the original population distribution. In other words, as the sample size increases, the sample mean will become a more accurate representation of the population mean.

2. How is the Central Limit Theorem Variation for Chi Square distribution used?

The Central Limit Theorem Variation for Chi Square distribution is used to estimate population parameters, such as the population mean or variance, using a sample. It is commonly used in hypothesis testing and confidence interval calculations.

3. What are the assumptions of the Central Limit Theorem Variation for Chi Square distribution?

The assumptions of the Central Limit Theorem Variation for Chi Square distribution include: 1) the sample is randomly selected from the population, 2) the sample size is sufficiently large (usually at least 30), and 3) the observations in the sample are independent of each other.

4. How does the sample size affect the Central Limit Theorem Variation for Chi Square distribution?

The Central Limit Theorem Variation for Chi Square distribution states that as the sample size increases, the distribution of sample means will approach a normal distribution. Therefore, the larger the sample size, the more accurate the sample mean will be as an estimate of the population mean.

5. Can the Central Limit Theorem Variation for Chi Square distribution be used for any type of data?

No, the Central Limit Theorem Variation for Chi Square distribution is only applicable to data that follows a chi-square distribution. This type of data is typically used in statistical tests for categorical data, such as in studies involving proportions or counts.