Centre of Mass of a Uniform Cuboid -- Show that it is at the Center

In summary: It just seems like a good idea.Yeah, if I did this question I would naturally distinguish between those two but I never asked myself why that is fundamentally the case. It just seems like a good idea.
patrykh18
Homework Statement
Starting from a definition of Centre of Mass, show explicitly that for a uniform cuboid the centre of mass is at the centre.
Relevant Equations
Provided below.
So, I volunteered to run a seminar to first year students in my college. They got a question like this for homework recently and a lot of them made a mistake in the calculation. I am not asking for help with the question itself because I know how to do it. However, a lot of students made a mistake that I shown in the image below. I'm curious about what would be the best way to explain to them why that is a wrong approach (without going into too much details about mathematics).
1605044028976.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Woahhhhhh, why you putting volumes in the limits?

etotheipi said:
Woahhhhhh, why you putting volumes in the limits?
Well I am going from x1 to x2 but it's all multiplied by yz

patrykh18 said:
Well I am going from x1 to x2 but it's all multiplied by yz
It should be multiplied by the constant cross sectional area, surely?

Likes etotheipi
PeroK said:
It should be multiplied by the constant cross sectional area, surely?

Yeah yz is the constant cross area

I was trying to figure out how to answer this but there's too much wrong at the moment to make a start. You have ##x##'s in the limits for your integration with respect to ##m##, you use ##V## both as the volume of the cuboid and as an integration variable, you set ##V=xyz## at one point, when this is clearly incorrect [##x##, ##y## and ##z## are coordinates..., and I don't even know which ##V## you're trying to refer to], you have some weird limits. Too much to untangle for me, sorry.

patrykh18 said:
Yeah yz is the constant cross area
The standard approach should integrate with respect to ##x##, and not ##V##. In any case, you cannot have ##V## as the fixed volume of the cube and an integration variable. That's a problem that encourages the invalid cancellation.

etotheipi said:
I was trying to figure out how to answer this but there's too much wrong at the moment to make a start. You have ##x##'s in the limits for your integration with respect to ##m##, you use ##V## both as the volume of the cuboid and as an integration variable, you set ##V=xyz## at one point, when this is clearly incorrect [##x##, ##y## and ##z## are coordinates..., and I don't even know which ##V## you're trying to refer to], you have some weird limits. Too much to untangle for me, sorry.

Yeah. I solved a lot of integrals. I know I need to distinguish between ##V## the volume and ##V## the integration parameter. I just never asked myself why you fundamentally have to do it.

PeroK said:
The standard approach should integrate with respect to ##x##, and not ##V##. In any case, you cannot have ##V## as the fixed volume of the cube and an integration variable. That's a problem that encourages the invalid cancellation.

Yeah, if I did this question I would naturally distinguish between those two but I never asked myself why that is fundamentally the case.

1. What is the definition of "centre of mass"?

The centre of mass of an object is the point at which the entire mass of the object can be considered to be concentrated. It is the point where the object is perfectly balanced in all directions.

2. How is the centre of mass of a uniform cuboid determined?

The centre of mass of a uniform cuboid can be determined by finding the average position of all the individual particles that make up the cuboid. This is done by taking into account the mass and position of each particle in relation to the overall shape of the cuboid.

3. Why is it important to know the centre of mass of a uniform cuboid?

Knowing the centre of mass of a uniform cuboid is important in understanding the stability and balance of the object. It is also useful in predicting the motion of the object when it is subjected to external forces.

4. How can it be shown that the centre of mass of a uniform cuboid is at the center?

By using the definition of centre of mass and the symmetry of a uniform cuboid, it can be mathematically proven that the centre of mass is located at the geometric center of the cuboid.

5. What factors can affect the location of the centre of mass of a uniform cuboid?

The location of the centre of mass of a uniform cuboid can be affected by the shape and dimensions of the cuboid, as well as the distribution of mass within the cuboid. Any external forces acting on the cuboid can also cause its centre of mass to shift.