Centre of mass of binary system calculation

In summary, the student attempted to solve the problem without knowing how to start, and then found that Vcm is 50km/s if the speed of the CM does not change.
R_moor

Homework Statement

Given a graph (see below) containing the velocities of two stars with respect to the sun, I am asked to calculate the velocity of the centre of mass of a binary system. I am not given the mass of either star, nor the shape of the orbit nor the velocity of the centre of mass.

Homework Equations

I know that the velocity of the centre of mass is given by :
V_cm = 1/M * [ m_1V_1 + m_2V_2] with M being the total mass of the system (m_1 + m_2) .

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I don't know how to start the problem, without more information, what I thought was that since the orbits are out of phase ( one orbits looks like a cosine function and the other like a sine function), one possible answer might be that the velocity of the centre of mass is just the average velocity at any given instant but I am honestly so lost I can't even write anything that make sense.
I would appreciate any help getting started.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-04 at 11.48.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-04 at 11.48.46 PM.png
    36.7 KB · Views: 519
Physics news on Phys.org
R_moor said:
I am not given the mass of either star, nor the shape of the orbit nor the velocity of the centre of mass.
You do not need this information. A hint is that you should be able to read this information off directly from the graph.

R_moor said:
the average velocity at any given instant
This clearly cannot be correct as the average velocity of the objects change with time and the centre of mass velocity should not.

Likes R_moor
Okay, thank you for your response I think it helped me to get started.

So I looked at the graphs and wrote an equation for each of the velocities :
1) V_1 = 150cos(t) +50
2) V_2 = -50cos(t) +50

(From here on I used: V_cm = 1/M * [ m_1V_1 + m_2V_2])

After this I evaluated both V's at t = 0 and t = π, so that I could express M only in terms of either m1 or m2. I choose m2 and found that M = 4m2.

Then I just plugged it in at t = 0 so that:
V_cm = 1/(4m_2) * (200) m_2
Canceling it out m_2 I found that V_cm = 50 km/s

Seems to me that this would only be right if the speed of the center of mass doesn't change (as you said), would you care to explain why this is true ?

Thank you !

Since both stars are orbiting each other (about the CM), it will appear as if the CM is static w.r.t. both stars (think about how planets in the solar system are perceived by us to be orbiting about a (relatively static) sun.

Since the average velocity of both stars is 50km/s, that means that the binary system is moving away from you at 50km/s

Likes Kevlargrizzly and R_moor
Alloymouse said:
Since both stars are orbiting each other (about the CM), it will appear as if the CM is static w.r.t. both stars (think about how planets in the solar system are perceived by us to be orbiting about a (relatively static) sun.

Since the average velocity of both stars is 50km/s, that means that the binary system is moving away from you at 50km/s
I see thank you. Do you know how could I prove this mathematically ?

R_moor said:
I see thank you. Do you know how could I prove this mathematically ?

Well unfortunately I'm not sure what you're asking to prove in this question; I see that you have proven that Vcm is indeed 50km/s.

If you're asking about proving that CM is static, I'd like you to consider the conservation of energy. They cannot be in uniform circular orbits if distance from each star to the CM continuously varies :)

By "uniform" I mean constant tangential velocity - the sinosoidal equations you worked out has proven that mathematically too!

Alloymouse said:
it will appear as if the CM is static w.r.t. both stars

No .

In the reference frame of a star , CM is rotating around that star .

Sorry, intended to say that there is no horizontal movement observed by the observer on Earth if we see that the stars have horizontal velocity

Thanks Everyone !

1. What is the centre of mass of a binary system?

The centre of mass of a binary system is the point at which the two objects in the system have equal and opposite gravitational forces acting on them, resulting in a net force of zero.

2. How is the centre of mass of a binary system calculated?

The centre of mass of a binary system can be calculated by taking into account the masses and distances of the two objects in the system. The formula for calculating the centre of mass is: centre of mass = (m1 * r1 + m2 * r2) / (m1 + m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects and r1 and r2 are their respective distances from the centre of mass.

3. Why is the centre of mass important in a binary system?

The centre of mass is important in a binary system because it is the point around which the two objects in the system orbit. This allows us to accurately predict the motion of the objects and understand the dynamics of the system.

4. How does the centre of mass change in a binary system?

The centre of mass of a binary system can change if the masses or distances of the two objects change. For example, if one object moves closer to the other, the centre of mass will shift towards the larger object.

5. Can the centre of mass of a binary system be outside of the two objects?

Yes, it is possible for the centre of mass of a binary system to be outside of the two objects. This can happen if the two objects have significantly different masses or if they are not evenly distributed.