Centripetal acceleration and tangential velocity of an object that revolves and rotates

user079622
Homework Statement
I must find centripetal acceleration and tangential velocity, I post this to check my results.
Relevant Equations
vt = ω r
ac = ω2 r
Right picture is two turn tables on of top of the other, smaller turn table is connected with shaft to bigger one so it rotate around itself and in same time "revolve" around center of bigger one which is also rotate about itself. They both rotate clockwise.

I observe case from inertial frame of reference, earth. I must find centripetal acceleration and tangential velocity in point B.

r1=1m ω1=1000RPM
r2=10 ω2=500RPM

Tangential velocity in point B = tangen. velocity in point P1(right picture) + tangen. velocity in point A
vt = ω r
A= 104.72 m/s
P1=523.6 m/s

They are two parallel velocity vectors pointing in same direction so I add them to get tangential velocity in point B=628.32 m/s

Centripetal acceleration in point B = cent. accleration in point P1(right picture) + cent. acceleration in point A

ac = ω2 r
P1= 27416 m/s2
A= 10966 m/s2

They are two vectors that point in same direction,(toward left at my graph), I add them to get centripetal acceleration in point B= 38382 m/s2

Is my logic and results correct?
Point A show case where smaller turn table rotate just around itself, revolution is zero)

fff.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
haruspex said:
Looks fine to me.
Do you maybe have any doubts about the way how I calculated centripetal acceleration?

user079622 said:
Do you maybe have any doubts about the way how I calculated centripetal acceleration?
Let me think on it some more…
A sanity check: consider ##\omega_1=\omega_2##.
Now B is always at ##r_1+r_2## from ##P_2##, so its acceleration is clearly ##(r_1+r_2)\omega^2##. Your method gives ##r_1\omega^2+r_2\omega^2##, which is the same.
Try ##\omega_1=0##.

haruspex said:
Let me think on it some more…
A sanity check: consider ##\omega_1=\omega_2##.
In this case is easy and clear.

Last edited:
So are you reassured?

haruspex said:
So are you reassured?
If ω1=ω2 then vt=576 m/s and acc=30159 m/s2
This is moon case, like small table is locked so it cant rotate in relation to big one.

Last edited:
user079622 said:
If ω1=ω2 then vt=576 m/s and acc=30159 m/s2
This is moon case, like small table is locked so it cant rotate in relation to big one.
Yes, but the point of considering such special cases is to see whether your approach in post #1 works. Don't plug in any numbers. I showed in post #4 that your method gives the right formula for that case. Can you do the same for ##\omega_1=0##?

haruspex said:
Yes, but the point of considering such special cases is to see whether your approach in post #1 works. Don't plug in any numbers. I showed in post #4 that your method gives the right formula for that case. Can you do the same for ##\omega_1=0##?
Formula for my case is r1 (ω1)2 + r2 ( ω2)2

I must think...
If ω1=0, that mean small table not rotate from earth frame,so point B always point toward right side
If is not rotate then acc=0 from rotation, so it has only acceleration from "revolution" around point P2, that is equal
(r1+r2 ) (ω2)2

But small table then rotate in relation to big table at -500RPM.
Am I correct?

user079622 said:
If is not rotate then acc=0 from rotation, so it has only acceleration from "revolution" around point P2, that is equal
(r1+r2 ) (ω2)2
That would conflict with your general solution. Plugging ##\omega_1=0## into ##r_1\omega_1^2+r_2\omega_2^2## gives ##r_2\omega_2^2##, not ##(r_1+r_2)\omega_2^2##.
But fortunately your reasoning in post #9 is wrong. If ##\omega_1=0##, what point is B orbiting?

haruspex said:
That would conflict with your general solution. Plugging ##\omega_1=0## into ##r_1\omega_1^2+r_2\omega_2^2## gives ##r_2\omega_2^2##, not ##(r_1+r_2)\omega_2^2##.
But fortunately your reasoning in post #9 is wrong. If ##\omega_1=0##, what point is B orbiting?
Yes I miss orbit path
B orbit around point P2+r1
so acc= r2 (ω2)2

Last edited:
user079622 said:
Yes I miss orbit path
B orbit around point P2+r1
so acc= r2 (ω2)2
Right. So your solution in post #1 looks to be good.

haruspex said:
Right. So your solution in post #1 looks to be good.
Thanks for help.

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object that is moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude is equal to the square of the object's tangential velocity divided by the radius of the circle.

2. How is centripetal acceleration related to tangential velocity?

Centripetal acceleration and tangential velocity are directly related. As the tangential velocity of an object increases, the centripetal acceleration required to keep it moving in a circular path also increases. This means that a higher tangential velocity requires a larger centripetal force to maintain the circular motion.

3. Can an object have a constant tangential velocity while experiencing centripetal acceleration?

Yes, an object can have a constant tangential velocity while experiencing centripetal acceleration. This is because the direction of the tangential velocity is always tangent to the circular path, while the direction of the centripetal acceleration is towards the center of the circle. As long as these two vectors are perpendicular, the object will maintain a constant tangential velocity while experiencing centripetal acceleration.

4. What factors affect the magnitude of centripetal acceleration?

The magnitude of centripetal acceleration is affected by three main factors: the tangential velocity of the object, the radius of the circular path, and the mass of the object. A higher tangential velocity or a smaller radius will result in a larger centripetal acceleration, while a larger mass will require a larger centripetal force to maintain the circular motion.

5. How is centripetal acceleration different from centrifugal force?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration required to keep an object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is the apparent outward force experienced by an object in circular motion. Centrifugal force is not a real force, but rather a result of the object's inertia wanting to continue moving in a straight line while being forced to move in a circular path. Centripetal acceleration, on the other hand, is a real force that acts towards the center of the circle to maintain the circular motion.