Centripetal acceleration of fairgrounds ride

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the number of revolutions per minute a fairgrounds ride's occupants will experience, given a specific radius and centripetal acceleration. The formula ac=Vt/r is mentioned, along with the relationship between centripetal force and acceleration. The conversation also guides the person to a wiki page on Uniform Circular Motion for further clarification. It is suggested to assume a mass of 1 and to compute 2.6g for the given acceleration.
plowboy15
A fairgrounds ride spins its occupants inside a flying-saucer-shaped container. If the horizontal circular path the riders follow has a 8.00 m radius, at how many revolutions per minute will the riders be subjected to a centripetal acceleration 2.60 times that of gravity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF plowboy! How far have you gotten on your end? Do you understand the physics and forces involved? Have you formulated a mathematical approach?

I get you have to use ac=Vt/r and that r will equal 8 and ac= 2.60. I think you will change the formlua to ac*r=Vt

plowboy15 said:
I get you have to use ac=Vt/r and that r will equal 8 and ac= 2.60. I think you will change the formlua to ac*r=Vt
I think you're close and on the right track. Take a look at the wiki on Uniform Circular Motion here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_motion#Uniform

The equations mentioned after these texts can be simplified/adapted:
The acceleration due to change in the direction is:
and
The centripetal and centrifugal force can also be found out using acceleration:

If we assume a mass of '1', can you see how the second equation for centripetal force simplifies to the first equation for acceleration? You mentioned an acceleration 2.60 times that of gravity. Do you know how to compute 2.6g?

I hope we're both on the right track! :w

This thread really belongs in the homework forum, so I'm moving it there.

okay

Related to Centripetal acceleration of fairgrounds ride

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration of an object moving in a circular path, directed towards the center of the circle. It is caused by the force of the object's velocity constantly changing direction.

2. How is centripetal acceleration related to fairground rides?

Many fairground rides, such as roller coasters and spinning rides, involve circular motion. The centripetal acceleration of these rides is responsible for the feeling of being pushed towards the center of the ride as it moves in a circular path.

3. How is centripetal acceleration calculated?

The formula for calculating centripetal acceleration is a = v^2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

4. What factors affect the centripetal acceleration of a fairground ride?

The centripetal acceleration of a fairground ride is affected by the speed of the ride, the radius of the circular path, and the mass of the riders. Generally, the faster the ride and the smaller the radius, the greater the centripetal acceleration will be.

5. Is centripetal acceleration dangerous?

Centripetal acceleration can be dangerous if it exceeds the limits of the human body. High levels of centripetal acceleration can cause dizziness, nausea, and even injury. Fairground rides are carefully designed to stay within safe limits of centripetal acceleration for riders.