Centripetal acceleration of protons in an accelerator

In summary, the centripetal acceleration of the protons is 9x10^13 ms-2. The relativistic mass is 1.78x10^-24 kg.
eftalia

Homework Statement

In a certain accelerator, protons of kinetic energy 1.6 x 10^-7 J move round a circular path of diameter 2000m .
Calculate:
(a) the centripetal acceleration
(b) the mass

ans for a is 9x10^13 ms-2, for b is 1.78 x 10^-24 kg

Homework Equations

centripetal acceleration = v^2 / r
relativistic KE = (gamma - 1)mc^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I initially thought I could use the relativistic KE formula to find the velocity of the protons, then find the centripetal acceleration (and i got the answer, apparently, using the mass of protons as 1.67 x 10^-27, but this would contradict with the second part).

I'm not so sure why the mass of the protons would differ and how to go about getting the centripetal acceleration, otherwise ><..

thanks for any help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Which formula did you use for the kinetic energy?

The (gamma-1)mc^2 one..

eftalia said:
The (gamma-1)mc^2 one..
Then in that case the mass in the formula represents the invariant mass of the proton, which you correctly used.

Part (b) refers to the relativistic mass.

OH! I see.. Okay I get the answer for the first part now but I'm confused as to how come the protons can be moving at the speed of light? Cos if so I can't find the relativistic mass since v = c and my denominator for gamma will be 0. Or is it a rounding error on my calculator?

eftalia said:
OH! I see.. Okay I get the answer for the first part now but I'm confused as to how come the protons can be moving at the speed of light? Cos if so I can't find the relativistic mass since v = c and my denominator for gamma will be 0. Or is it a rounding error on my calculator?
When I do the calculation, I get a value of velocity very close to c (0.99999C) - so it is probably a rounding error.

Last edited:
Ah I see. Alright then thanks a lot :)

Related to Centripetal acceleration of protons in an accelerator

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration of an object moving in a circular path, directed towards the center of the circle.

2. How is centripetal acceleration related to proton acceleration in an accelerator?

In an accelerator, the centripetal acceleration of protons is used to keep them in a circular path as they gain speed and energy.

3. What factors affect the centripetal acceleration of protons in an accelerator?

The centripetal acceleration of protons in an accelerator is affected by the speed of the protons, the strength of the magnetic field, and the radius of the circular path.

4. How is the centripetal acceleration of protons calculated in an accelerator?

The centripetal acceleration of protons in an accelerator can be calculated using the equation a = v^2 / r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the protons, and r is the radius of the circular path.

5. What is the importance of centripetal acceleration in an accelerator?

Centripetal acceleration is crucial in an accelerator as it allows for the control and acceleration of particles, such as protons, to reach high speeds and energies for scientific experiments and applications.