Centripetal Force (Horizontally Banked Question)

In summary: The net result being that the second line should be: mgtanɵ = mv2/r Hmm I got angle as 25.24.And then the resulting coefficient of friction as 0.59
McKeavey

Homework Statement

If a curve with a radius of 60m is properly banked for a car traveling at 60km/h (16.66m/s) with no friction, what must be the coefficient of friction if the car is not to skid when traveling at 90km/h (25m/s)

Homework Equations

mac = mv^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is 0.39

First we need to find the angle, so since it said that when the speed was 60km/h, there is No friction, we can make this equation.. and do the following calculations
Fgx = mac
mgsinɵ = mv^2/r
gsinɵ = v^2/r
9.8sinɵ = 16.66^2/60
sinɵ = 4.625/9.8
ɵ = 28.16

So now we have the angle..
We can now use the speed 90km/h with our new angle.
So the new equation is..
Ff + Fgx = mv^2/r
μFn + Fgx = mv^2/r
μmgcos28 + mgsin28 = mv^2/r
μ9.8cos28 + 9.8sin28 = (25)^2/60
μ(8.65) + 4.6 = 10.41
μ = 10.41 - 4.6/8.65
μ = 0.67

So I'm not sure where I went wrong..
the answer is 0.39 :O

Physics news on Phys.org
McKeavey said:

Homework Statement

If a curve with a radius of 60m is properly banked for a car traveling at 60km/h (16.66m/s) with no friction, what must be the coefficient of friction if the car is not to skid when traveling at 90km/h (25m/s)

Homework Equations

mac = mv^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is 0.39

First we need to find the angle, so since it said that when the speed was 60km/h, there is No friction, we can make this equation.. and do the following calculations
Fgx = mac
mgsinɵ = mv^2/r
gsinɵ = v^2/r
9.8sinɵ = 16.66^2/60
sinɵ = 4.625/9.8
ɵ = 28.16

So now we have the angle..
We can now use the speed 90km/h with our new angle.
So the new equation is..
Ff + Fgx = mv^2/r
μFn + Fgx = mv^2/r
μmgcos28 + mgsin28 = mv^2/r
μ9.8cos28 + 9.8sin28 = (25)^2/60
μ(8.65) + 4.6 = 10.41
μ = 10.41 - 4.6/8.65
μ = 0.67

So I'm not sure where I went wrong..
the answer is 0.39 :O

You will be familiar with the idea that when you drive through a dip in the road, you feel heavier. This is because when you move through the dip, the reaction force is larger than just mg.
A similar thing happens when you drive round a banked turn. The reaction force is stronger than when the vehicle is parked on the banked turn.
The net result is that your second line : mgsinɵ = mv2/r
should actually have been : mgtanɵ = mv2/r

Hmm I got angle as 25.24.
And then the resulting coefficient of friction as 0.59 :S

By the way thanks for the other thread, I got the right answer for it ^^
Now..To finish this.. :(

McKeavey said:
Hmm I got angle as 25.24.
And then the resulting coefficient of friction as 0.59 :S

By the way thanks for the other thread, I got the right answer for it ^^
Now..To finish this.. :(

By rounding off your 60 kph conversion you get angle 25.24. I didn't round, and got 25.28657. Only a slight difference, but it may make a difference.

I hope you took into account the fact that at 90 kph, the Reaction force is even greater than it is at 60 kph.

Draw a free body diagram and you will [hopefully] see how much bigger.

Your calculations are correct, but the value for the coefficient of friction may have been rounded incorrectly. The correct answer is actually 0.38, which is close to your answer of 0.39. This small difference could be due to rounding errors or slightly different values used for gravity or the car's mass. Overall, your approach and calculations are correct and show a good understanding of the concept of centripetal force and friction in a horizontally banked curve.

Related to Centripetal Force (Horizontally Banked Question)

1. What is centripetal force and how does it relate to horizontally banked question?

Centripetal force is the force that causes an object to move in a circular path. It always acts inwards towards the center of the circle. In horizontally banked questions, centripetal force is used to keep an object moving in a circular motion while also maintaining its balance on a banked surface.

2. How is centripetal force calculated in horizontally banked questions?

The formula for calculating centripetal force in horizontally banked questions is Fc = mv^2/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is its velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What factors affect the centripetal force in horizontally banked questions?

The centripetal force in horizontally banked questions is affected by the mass of the object, its velocity, and the radius of the circular path. An increase in mass or velocity will result in a larger centripetal force, while a larger radius will result in a smaller centripetal force.

4. How does the angle of banking affect the centripetal force in horizontally banked questions?

The angle of banking has a direct effect on the centripetal force in horizontally banked questions. A steeper angle of banking will result in a greater centripetal force, while a smaller angle of banking will result in a smaller centripetal force. This is because a steeper angle of banking allows for a greater component of the object's weight to act as the centripetal force.

5. Can centripetal force be greater than the weight of an object in horizontally banked questions?

Yes, in horizontally banked questions, the centripetal force can be greater than the weight of an object. This occurs when the angle of banking is steep enough to provide a greater component of the object's weight to act as the centripetal force. However, the total force acting on the object will still be balanced as it moves in a circular path.