Centripetal force in a golf swing

In summary, centripetal force is responsible for pulling the golf club out of your hand. This force is provided by your grip on the club.
bolson07
Can anyone explain how centripetal force is involved in a golf swing, i understand that it is one force keeping the club from flying out of your hands, but what else. THis is not a homework question i am just curious. (Had to specify because of the thread above)

Physics news on Phys.org
Centripetal force is pulling the golf club out of your hand actually.

THe person above is wierd, anyone got anything better

Whenever any mass executes circular motion a centripetal force is required. In the case of the golf club, the centripetal force is provided by your grip on the club. ("centripetal" just means "towards the center"; it's not a separate kind of force.)

Pengwuino said:

WHAT? :confused: :confused:

~H

If you think that the penguin is weird here, check out General Discussion. :biggrin:

Danger said:
If you think that the penguin is weird here, check out General Discussion. :biggrin:

I only venture there ocassionally, it is a very strange place to me... There seems to be a war waging between some guerrilla organisation calling themselves the 'PF sisterhood' and the english gentleman Wolfram. :confused:

~H

That's just a smoke-screen. The Sisterhood battle is internal; they all want him, and they're not good a sharing.

Since no one is answering, a golf swing is sort of like cracking a whip. The club or iron starts off positioned back about 90 degrees from the forearms. Initially the force is mostly backwards and downwards, almost parallel to the club or iron, but as the swing moves downwards, the force transitions so that it is angled greatly from the golf club or iron. You have a net force inwards (and forwards) on the handle of the golf club, but the center of mass of the golf club has a reactionary outwards force causing the club or iron to rotate faster than a golfers forearms. Ideally the golf club or iron accelerates (rotational acceleration) forwards to line up with the golfers forearms right at or just before contact. This extra swinging motion of the club or iron increases the head speed.

?? The question was specifically about centripetal force and Doc Al answered it.

Pengwuino said:
I hear gravity makes the planets fly out into intergalactic space.

dav2008 said:
I hear gravity makes the planets fly out into intergalactic space.
:smile: :smile: :smile:

The reason centripetal force is crucial to your golf swing is that this force is applied by you (form your arms, through your hands into the club). If you supply too little, you will hit the ground just before the ball; too much, and you'll "wiff" (go right over the ball without touching it).

I'm glad to finally see my golfing style described in scientific terms. Now... how do I stop it?

Don't bob your head/dip your shoulders when you swing. Rotate around your spine as if it is fixed in space. Those are the main reasons for topping (or wiffing) and swinging into the ground.

I'm wondering what, if any, effect centripedal force might have on the club edge's orientation to the ground. Since the club is attached offcenter, you might get a flexing of the shaft away from the club, dipping the toe towards the ground. That could explain why when I set up I look like I'm heel low, but when I swing (when it is good), the foot of the club is flat.

Golf - it spoils a good walk.

Thanks, Russ. I'll give that a try if W and I can ever afford to go out. It won't be easy to adjust though; I'm used to swinging a baseball bat, not a golf club.

Related to Centripetal force in a golf swing

1. What is centripetal force in a golf swing?

Centripetal force is the force that pulls an object towards the center of a curved path or orbit. In a golf swing, it is the force that allows the club to stay on its circular path and generate power.

2. How does centripetal force affect a golf swing?

Centripetal force plays a crucial role in a golf swing as it allows the club to maintain its circular path and transfer energy from the golfer's body to the ball. Without centripetal force, the club would fly off in a straight line, resulting in a poor shot.

3. What factors determine the strength of centripetal force in a golf swing?

The strength of centripetal force in a golf swing depends on the speed of the clubhead, the radius of the swing, and the mass of the club. The faster the clubhead travels, the larger the radius of the swing, and the heavier the club, the stronger the centripetal force.

4. Can centripetal force be increased in a golf swing?

Yes, the strength of centripetal force in a golf swing can be increased by increasing the speed of the clubhead, making a larger swing radius, or using a heavier club. However, it is important to maintain proper technique and not sacrifice control for more centripetal force.

5. How does centripetal force impact the accuracy of a golf swing?

Centripetal force can have both positive and negative impacts on the accuracy of a golf swing. On one hand, it helps keep the club on its intended path, leading to more accurate shots. On the other hand, too much centripetal force can lead to loss of control and result in an inaccurate shot. Finding the right balance is key for a successful golf swing.