Centroid of a circular segment

In summary, the problem at hand is finding the centroid of a circular segment, which involves using equations and diagrams. The individual seeking help is not familiar with calculus and needs assistance with understanding the concept. They have found an equation for calculating the centroid and have attempted to solve it with a specific example, but are unsure if their results are correct. They have also found a different equation for the centroid of a semicircle and are wondering why they are getting a small distance for both cases. It is then pointed out that the angle θ should be expressed in radians, not degrees.
snurblet

Homework Statement

I need to find the centroid of a circular segment. I know nothing of calculus, and this is part of an analysis for statics that goes beyond the material covered in class.

Homework Equations

I've seen this equation for calculating the centroid:

[itex]\bar{y}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{4Rsin^3\frac{\theta}{2}}{3(\theta-sin\theta)}[/itex]

Please the Wiki link for the diagram:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Circularsegment_centroid.svg

The Attempt at a Solution

For a circle of 1 inch diameter, with an angle of 60°:

4(0.5")sin(30)^3= 0.25

divided by:

3(60-sin60)≈ 177.4

Answer: approximately 0.001"

Surely the centroid should be within the segment? Separately, I've found the centroid of a semicircle using:

[itex]\bar{y}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{4R}{3\pi}[/itex]

which gave reasonable results. I'm led to believe the first equation should give the correct centroid position for a semicircle (θ=180°), but I also got a very small distance for that, too.

What am I missing about the first equation?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
θ should be expressed in radians. 60 degrees is π/3 radians.

Very gently stated. :)

Thanks, Chester!

1. What is the definition of centroid of a circular segment?

The centroid of a circular segment is the point at which the area of the segment can be divided into two equal parts by a line passing through it.

2. How is the centroid of a circular segment calculated?

The centroid of a circular segment can be calculated using the formula (4R/3π) * sin(θ/2), where R is the radius of the circle and θ is the central angle of the segment in radians.

3. What is the significance of the centroid of a circular segment?

The centroid of a circular segment is important in determining the center of mass and the moment of inertia of the segment. It is also useful in various engineering and physics applications, such as determining the stability of a structure.

4. Can the centroid of a circular segment be located outside the segment?

Yes, the centroid of a circular segment can be located outside the segment, as long as it lies on the line of symmetry of the segment.

5. How does the centroid of a circular segment differ from the centroid of a circle?

The centroid of a circle is located at the center of the circle, while the centroid of a circular segment is located on the line of symmetry of the segment, which may be inside or outside the segment depending on its size and shape.