CFD Fluent airflow simulation -- "Error: no periodic zones adjacent to grid interface"

In summary, when encountering the error "no periodic zones adjacent to grid interface" in a CFD Fluent airflow simulation, it indicates that there are no overlapping periodic zones adjacent to the grid interface. This means that the periodic boundary conditions have not been properly defined, leading to incorrect simulation results. To resolve this error, the periodic boundary conditions must be correctly set up before running the simulation.
Fatowil boy beliebt
I have created a savonius turbine model with 2 blades using 3D gambit. I want to simulate the flow of air flowing so as to drive the turbine savonius spin (unsteady, incompressible). Geometry consists of 3 volume boxes (domain tunnel flow), cylinder (domain grid interface), blade savonius (rotating object), then I do subtract so that left to 2 volumes
: volume box inside there is cylinder and cylinder volume inside which there is blade. I have set the boundary conditions of inlet velocity (front side inlet face on the box), outflow (face outlet on the back side of the box), wall (top, bottom, right side, stasionary wall), wall (blade (moving wall)), Interface (on face cylinder inside there is blade and cylinder inside box).

After I set everything in fluent on solve - initialize - intitialize - compute from (I choose inlet (boundary condition 'velocity inlet') appears in TUI "Error: no periodic zones adjacent to grid interface"
How to solve this problem?
I've tried to set also in TUI about the grid or modify zone for wall zones to periodic zones but still error. Please help me for solve problem...

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello, thank you for sharing your progress on your savonius turbine model. It sounds like you have made good progress in setting up your geometry and boundary conditions in 3D Gambit. However, it seems that you are encountering an error when trying to initialize the simulation in Fluent.

From the information provided, it seems like the error is related to the grid interface between the cylinder and the blade. The grid interface is an important feature in Fluent that allows for communication between different grid zones. In this case, the error message indicates that there are no periodic zones adjacent to the grid interface, which could be causing the issue.

There are a few potential solutions that you could try to resolve this issue:

1. Check the grid interface: Double-check that the grid interface between the cylinder and the blade is set up correctly in 3D Gambit. Make sure that the grid interface is connected to the correct zones and that the interface type is set to "periodic".

2. Adjust the grid: It is possible that the grid interface is not aligned properly, which could be causing the error. You could try adjusting the grid in 3D Gambit to ensure that the grid interface is aligned correctly.

3. Use a different interface type: Instead of using a periodic interface, you could try using another interface type such as a coupled or sliding interface. These options may require some additional setup, but they could potentially resolve the error.

4. Check the boundary conditions: Double-check all of your boundary conditions in 3D Gambit and make sure they are set correctly. It is possible that there is an error in one of the boundary conditions that is causing the issue.

5. Consult Fluent documentation or support: If none of the above solutions work, it may be helpful to consult the Fluent documentation or reach out to their support team for assistance. They may be able to provide more specific guidance on how to resolve this error.

I hope these suggestions are helpful in solving the problem with your simulation. Good luck with your research!

1. What does the error "no periodic zones adjacent to grid interface" mean?

The error "no periodic zones adjacent to grid interface" means that there are no periodic boundaries defined in the specified grid interface. Periodic boundaries are necessary for CFD Fluent airflow simulation to ensure continuity and accuracy in the flow field.

2. How can I fix the error "no periodic zones adjacent to grid interface"?

To fix this error, you will need to define periodic boundaries in the grid interface. This can be done by selecting the appropriate faces or edges and specifying them as periodic in the boundary conditions panel. Make sure to also check for any missing or disconnected boundaries that may be causing the error.

3. Can I run a CFD Fluent airflow simulation without defining periodic boundaries?

No, it is not recommended to run a CFD Fluent airflow simulation without defining periodic boundaries. The lack of periodic boundaries can lead to discontinuities and inaccurate results in the flow field, making the simulation unreliable.

4. Are there any other possible causes for the error "no periodic zones adjacent to grid interface"?

Yes, there can be other causes for this error, such as incorrect boundary conditions, overlapping boundaries, or non-conformal interfaces. It is important to thoroughly check all boundary conditions and interfaces to ensure they are properly defined and connected.

5. How can I avoid encountering the error "no periodic zones adjacent to grid interface" in my CFD Fluent airflow simulation?

To avoid this error, it is important to carefully plan and set up the grid and boundary conditions before running the simulation. Make sure to define all necessary periodic boundaries and check for any errors or discrepancies in the grid. It may also be helpful to consult with experienced CFD Fluent users or seek guidance from tutorials or user manuals.