CFD Modeling of Flue Gas Pollution Dispersion

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of CFD models for modeling flue gas dispersion. The speaker has previously used the k-epsilon turbulence model in Ansys to model water in a stirred vessel, but is now interested in the considerations and appropriateness of using this model for gas dispersion. They also ask about the suitability of incompressible models and the most commonly used turbulence models in CFD packages for this application. The other person warns that atmospheric flue gas dispersion is a complex problem and requires an understanding of gas flow mechanics. They offer to discuss the problem further if the speaker can demonstrate an understanding of the flow path from source to dispersion.
FluidStu
I've previously studied and used the k-epsilon turbulence model within Ansys to model water in a small stirred vessel. I am now interested in CFD models appropriate for modeling flue gas dispersion.

I'd like to know:
  • What additional considerations are required for modeling a gas as opposed to a liquid?
  • Is the k-epsilon model appropriate? If not, why not?
  • Is it suitable to use incompressible models?
  • What are the most common turbulence models applied within CFD packages for modeling flue gas pollution dispersion?
Many thanks.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Atmospheric flue gas dispersion is an exceptionally difficult problem to model effectively .

Starting from your apparently zero knowledge of the complex flow mechanics involved and of CFD methods generally I think that you are going to have serious difficulty making any progress at all with this project .

Anyway if you really want to have a go then you must start with an understanding of the fundamental mechanics of the gas flow .

See if you can describe to me what you think is going on physically in the complete flow path from source of flue gas to final dispersion in the atmosphere .

If you get anywhere near then I will be happy to discuss this problem further .

1. What is CFD modeling?

CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) modeling is a numerical simulation technique used to analyze the behavior of fluids and gases in a given system. It involves solving complex equations to predict the flow, temperature, and other properties of the fluid or gas within the system.

2. How is CFD modeling used in studying flue gas pollution dispersion?

CFD modeling can be used to simulate the dispersion of flue gas pollutants from a source, such as a power plant or industrial facility. By inputting data on the geometry of the source and surrounding environment, as well as the properties of the pollutants, the model can predict how the pollutants will disperse and how they will interact with the surrounding air.

3. What are the benefits of using CFD modeling for studying flue gas pollution dispersion?

CFD modeling allows for a more detailed and accurate analysis of flue gas pollution dispersion compared to traditional methods. It also allows for the evaluation of different scenarios and mitigation strategies, without the need for physical experimentation.

4. What factors are important to consider when creating a CFD model for flue gas pollution dispersion?

The accuracy of a CFD model for flue gas pollution dispersion depends on several factors, including the quality of the input data, the chosen numerical methods and algorithms, and the assumptions made in the model. It is also important to consider the effects of turbulence, chemical reactions, and other complex phenomena that may affect the dispersion of pollutants.

5. How can CFD modeling help in mitigating flue gas pollution?

CFD modeling can help in identifying potential sources of pollution and evaluating the effectiveness of different mitigation strategies, such as altering the location or design of a source, or implementing control measures. It can also aid in the development of more efficient and environmentally-friendly processes for industries that produce flue gas pollutants.