Chain rule and change of variables again

Now, the first factor is a function of y, so you can differentiate it with respect to y. The second factor is a function of x, so you can differentiate it with respect to x. That's the idea. In summary, we discussed the equality ##dy/dx = 1/(dx/dy)## and how it can be extended to second order derivatives. By writing the second equation as ##dy/dx = (dx/dy)^{-1}## and applying the chain rule, we obtained the equation ##d2y/dx2 =- d2x/dy2 / (dx/dy)3##. The cubic term in the denominator may seem strange, but it can be understood by differentiating the
jonjacson
We start with:

d2y/dx2

And we want to consider x as function of y instead of y as function of x.

I understand this equality:

dy/dx = 1/ (dx/dy)

But for the second order this equality is provided:

d2y/dx2 =- d2x/dy2 / (dx/dy)3

Does anybody understand where is it coming from? The cubic term in the denominator looks quite strange, I don't know how to understand that equation.

ANy help is welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
jonjacson said:
We start with:

d2y/dx2

And we want to consider x as function of y instead of y as function of x.

I understand this equality:

dy/dx = 1/ (dx/dy)

But for the second order this equality is provided:

d2y/dx2 =- d2x/dy2 / (dx/dy)3

Does anybody understand where is it coming from? The cubic term in the denominator looks quite strange, I don't know how to understand that equation.

ANy help is welcome.
Write your second equation above as ##dy/dx = (dx/dy)^{-1}##
Now take the derivative with respect to x of both sides:
##d^2y/dx^2 = (-1) (dx/dy)^{-2} \cdot d/dx(dx/dy)##
On the right side above, I'm using the chain rule.
Is that enough of a start?

Mark44 said:
Write your second equation above as ##dy/dx = (dx/dy)^{-1}##
Now take the derivative with respect to x of both sides:
##d^2y/dx^2 = (-1) (dx/dy)^{-2} \cdot d/dx(dx/dy)##
On the right side above, I'm using the chain rule.
Is that enough of a start?

It looks like a great start but I have a question.

If we have x as function of y, dx/dy will be a function of y too, WHat is the meaning of deriving this respect to x?
X is the independent variable now, Does it make sense to differenciate a function respect itself?

Maybe I am confused and I should go to bed.

jonjacson said:
It looks like a great start but I have a question.

If we have x as function of y, dx/dy will be a function of y too, WHat is the meaning of deriving this respect to x?
You can differentiate it with respect to x (not derive it).
jonjacson said:
X is the independent variable now
No, if x is a function of y, x is the dependent variable, and y is the independent variable.
jonjacson said:
, Does it make sense to differenciate a function respect itself?

Maybe I am confused and I should go to bed.
In the last part of what I wrote I have ##d/dx(dx/dy)##. That's the same as ##\frac d {dy} \left(\frac {dx}{dy} \right)\cdot \frac{dy}{dx}##, with the chain rule being applied once more.

1. What is the chain rule and why is it important?

The chain rule is a mathematical rule used to find the derivative of a composite function. It is important because it allows us to find the rate of change of a dependent variable with respect to an independent variable, even when the function is composed of multiple functions.

2. How do you apply the chain rule in calculus?

To apply the chain rule, you need to first identify the composite function and its individual functions. Then, you take the derivative of the outer function and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function. This gives you the derivative of the composite function.

3. Can you give an example of how the chain rule is used in real-life applications?

The chain rule is commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to find the rate of change of a quantity with respect to another quantity. For example, in physics, it can be used to find the acceleration of an object with respect to time, or the change in pressure with respect to volume in thermodynamics.

4. What is the change of variables theorem?

The change of variables theorem, also known as the substitution rule, is a mathematical rule used to evaluate integrals of functions with a different variable. It states that if a function is integrable with respect to a new variable, then the integral of the original function can be calculated in terms of the new variable.

5. How is the change of variables theorem related to the chain rule?

The change of variables theorem is related to the chain rule because it is essentially a special case of the chain rule. When integrating a function with a different variable, we are essentially composing the original function with a new function. The change of variables theorem uses the chain rule to simplify the integration process.