Integral change of variables formula confusion

In summary, the conversation discusses the change of variables formula for a volume integral in 1D. If the variable z can be written as a function of x, the integral can be transformed using the formula V(A)=∫A dz=∫z−1(A) |z′(x)|dx. However, it is important to note that when substituting variables, the integration range must also be changed to the new variables and the transformation must be a diffeomorphism over the entire range of integration.
SchroedingersLion
Greetings all.

I just got confused by the following.
Consider volume integral, for simplicity in 1D.
$$
V(A) = \int_{A} dz.
$$

If ##z## can be written as an invertible function of ##x##, i.e. ##z=f(x)##, we know the change of variables formula
$$
V(A)=\int_{A} dz= \int_{z^{-1}(A)} |z'(x)|dx.
$$

Intuitively, this is clear. What confused me now was the notion that the volume element transforms according to
$$
dz = |z'(x)|dx.
$$

If this equality holds, it should be allowed to write
$$
\int_{A} dz= \int_{A} |z'(x)|dx,
$$
which is obviously wrong. Why exactly is this not allowed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you wondering whether A or ##z^{-1}(A)## the domain of integration is ?
It would be A for ##\int dz ...## and ##z^{-1}(A)## for ##\int dx ...##.

Last edited:
SchroedingersLion said:
Greetings all.

I just got confused by the following.
Consider volume integral, for simplicity in 1D.
$$
V(A) = \int_{A} dz.
$$

If ##z## can be written as an invertible function of ##x##, i.e. ##z=f(x)##, we know the change of variables formula
$$
V(A)=\int_{A} dz= \int_{z^{-1}(A)} |z'(x)|dx.
$$

Intuitively, this is clear. What confused me now was the notion that the volume element transforms according to
$$
dz = |z'(x)|dx.
$$

If this equality holds, it should be allowed to write
$$
\int_{A} dz= \int_{A} |z'(x)|dx,
$$
which is obviously wrong. Why exactly is this not allowed?
Because written out, the integral reads ##\displaystyle{\int_{z=a}^{z=b}}dz##, and you cannot substitute the variable in one place and ignore the other places. Here is the multivariate version:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integration_by_substitution#Substitution_for_multiple_variables

Likes topsquark and SchroedingersLion
fresh_42 said:
Because written out, the integral reads ##\displaystyle{\int_{z=a}^{z=b}}dz##, and you cannot substitute the variable in one place and ignore the other places. Here is the multivariate version:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integration_by_substitution#Substitution_for_multiple_variables
Thank you. Writing the integration domain explicitly in terms of the variable helps to clear my confusion. I need to replace everything ##z##-related with the corresponding ##x## expression, not just a part of the whole thing.

Likes fresh_42
Of course you have to change the integration range to the new variables. You also must make sure that the transformation is a diffeomorphism over the entire range of integration. For a 1D integral over an interval the function must be monotonous and differentiable verywhere along the interval. Then
$$\int_a^b \mathrm{d} z f(z) = \int_{z^{-1}(a)}^{z^{-1}(b)} \mathrm{d} u \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}u} z(u)f[z(u)].$$

Likes topsquark, SchroedingersLion and fresh_42

1. What is the integral change of variables formula?

The integral change of variables formula, also known as the substitution rule, is a method used in calculus to simplify the evaluation of integrals. It allows us to change the variable of integration in an integral to make it easier to solve.

2. How does the integral change of variables formula work?

The formula states that if we have an integral in the form of ∫f(x)dx, and we substitute x with a function of u, such as x = g(u), then the integral becomes ∫f(g(u))g'(u)du. This allows us to rewrite the integral in terms of a new variable, making it easier to solve.

3. When should I use the integral change of variables formula?

The integral change of variables formula is useful when the integrand (the function being integrated) is complex or difficult to integrate in its original form. By substituting a new variable, we can simplify the integral and make it easier to evaluate.

4. What are some common mistakes when using the integral change of variables formula?

One common mistake is forgetting to substitute the limits of integration when changing variables. It is important to also change the limits to match the new variable. Another mistake is using the wrong substitution, which can lead to incorrect results.

5. Can the integral change of variables formula be used in multiple dimensions?

Yes, the integral change of variables formula can be extended to multiple dimensions, such as in double or triple integrals. In these cases, we use a different form of the formula that includes Jacobian determinants to account for the change in variables in each dimension.