Challenge problem #1 Solve 2x^2y^2−2xy+x^2+y^2−2x−2y+3=0

• MHB
  • Thread starter Olinguito
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Challenge
In summary, the conversation involves a user introducing themselves and their intention to post challenge problems on a forum. They start with a simple problem involving finding real numbers satisfying a given equation. Another user then responds with a solution to the problem and mentions that they will have a second problem ready soon. The summarizer notes that the given equation has no real solutions and that the conversation also includes a welcoming exchange between the users.
Olinguito
Hi all.

I would like to post some challenge problems from time to time. I’ll start with a simple one. :)

Find all real numbers $x,y$ satisfying the following equation:
$$2x^2y^2-2xy+x^2+y^2-2x-2y+3=0.$$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Olinguito said:
Hi all.

I would like to post some challenge problems from time to time. I’ll start with a simple one. :)

Hi Olinguito, and welcome to MHB! We look forward seeing your problems.
[sp]$2x^2y^2-2xy+x^2+y^2-2x-2y+3 = 2(xy-1)^2 + (x+y-1)^2$. If that is zero then $xy=1$ and $x+y=1$. So $x$ and $y$ are the roots of $\lambda^2 - \lambda + 1 = 0$. But that equation has no real roots, so the given equation has no real solutions.[/sp]

Thanks Opalg – and great work! :D

I should have a second problem ready soon. :cool:

Olinguito said:
Hi all.

Welcome Olinguito!
$$2x^2y^2-2xy+x^2+y^2-2x-2y+3 = (xy)^2 + (xy-1)^2+(x-1)^2+(y-1)^2=0$$
A sum of squares is 0 if and only if all individual squares are 0.
So $x=1,y=1$,and $xy=0$, which is a contradiction.
Therefore there are no solutions.

Thanks, I like Serena! Great work as well. :D

1. What is the first step in solving this challenge problem?

The first step in solving this challenge problem is to factor out common terms. In this case, we can factor out (x+y) from the first three terms and (x+y-2) from the last three terms, leaving us with (x+y)(2xy-1)+(x+y-2)(x+y-1)=0.

2. How can I simplify the expression (2xy-1)+(x+y-2)(x+y-1)?

One way to simplify this expression is to use the distributive property and combine like terms. This will result in 2x^2y^2-2xy+x^2+y^2-2x-2y+3=0.

3. Can I solve this challenge problem using the quadratic formula?

Yes, you can solve this challenge problem using the quadratic formula. First, you will need to rearrange the equation into the form ax^2+bx+c=0, where a=2, b=-2, and c=3. Then, you can plug these values into the quadratic formula: x = (-b ± √(b^2-4ac)) / 2a.

4. Is there another method besides factoring or using the quadratic formula to solve this challenge problem?

Yes, you can also solve this challenge problem by completing the square. This involves manipulating the equation to create a perfect square trinomial, which can then be solved using the square root property.

5. How many possible solutions are there for this challenge problem?

It is not possible to determine the number of solutions for this challenge problem without solving it. It is possible that there are two real solutions, one real solution, or no real solutions. This can be determined by solving the equation and finding the x and y values that make it true.