Prove Inequality: $x^2y\,+\,y^2z\,+\,z^2x \ge 2(x\,+\,y\,+\,z) - 3$

In summary, the purpose of proving this inequality is to show that it is always true for any values of x, y, and z, making it useful in mathematical proofs and applications. To prove this inequality, techniques such as algebraic manipulation, substitution, or mathematical induction can be used, depending on the problem. A counterexample cannot disprove this inequality as it must hold true for all values of the variables. The AM-GM inequality can be used to prove this inequality by manipulating it using the property of the arithmetic and geometric mean. This inequality is related to other mathematical concepts such as the AM-GM inequality, the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, and convexity.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Given that $x,\,y$ and $z$ are positive real numbers such that $xy + yz + zx = 3xyz.$

Prove that $x^2y + y^2z + z^2x\ge 2(x + y + z) − 3$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
My solution:

Dividing the equation $xy + yz + zx = 3xyz$ by $xyz$ yields $\frac{1}{x} + \frac{1}{y} + \frac{1}{z} = 3$. So

$$x^2y + y^2z + z^2x + 3 = \left(x^2y + \frac{1}{y}\right) + \left(y^2z + \frac{1}{z}\right) + \left(z^2x + \frac{1}{x}\right)$$
$$ \ge 2\sqrt{x^2y/y} + 2\sqrt{y^2z/z} + 2\sqrt{z^2x/x} = 2x + 2y + 2z = 2(x + y + z).$$

Therefore

$$x^2y + y^2z + z^2x \ge 2(x + y + z) - 3.$$

Euge said:
My solution:

Dividing the equation $xy + yz + zx = 3xyz$ by $xyz$ yields $\frac{1}{x} + \frac{1}{y} + \frac{1}{z} = 3$. So

$$x^2y + y^2z + z^2x + 3 = \left(x^2y + \frac{1}{y}\right) + \left(y^2z + \frac{1}{z}\right) + \left(z^2x + \frac{1}{x}\right)$$
$$ \ge 2\sqrt{x^2y/y} + 2\sqrt{y^2z/z} + 2\sqrt{z^2x/x} = 2x + 2y + 2z = 2(x + y + z).$$

Therefore

$$x^2y + y^2z + z^2x \ge 2(x + y + z) - 3.$$

Very well done, Euge! (Cool)

My solution:

\(\displaystyle \begin{align*}x^2y + y^2z + z^2x&=\frac{x^2}{\frac{1}{y}}+\frac{y^2}{\frac{1}{z}}+\frac{z^2}{\frac{1}{x}}\\&\ge \frac{(x+y+z)^2}{\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y}+\frac{1}{z}}\text{by the Titu's Lemma}\\&=\frac{(x+y+z)^2}{3}\text{since we're told $xy + yz + zx = 3xyz.$}\end{align*}\)

Now if we can prove \(\displaystyle \frac{(x+y+z)^2}{3}\ge 2(x + y + z) − 3\) then we're done.

But that is true since

\(\displaystyle \frac{(x+y+z)^2}{3}\ge 2(x + y + z) − 3\)

\(\displaystyle (x+y+z)^2- 6(x + y + z)+ 9\ge 0\)

\(\displaystyle (x+y+z-3)^2\ge 0\) for all positive real $x,\,y$ and $z$.

1. What is the purpose of proving this inequality?

The purpose of proving this inequality is to provide evidence that it is always true for any values of x, y, and z. This can be helpful in various mathematical proofs and applications.

2. How can I prove this inequality?

To prove this inequality, you can use techniques such as algebraic manipulation, substitution, or mathematical induction. It is important to carefully consider the properties of the inequality and choose the most appropriate method for the given problem.

3. Can I use a counterexample to disprove this inequality?

No, a counterexample cannot be used to disprove this inequality. This is because an inequality must be true for all values of the variables, not just one specific set of values.

4. Can I use the AM-GM inequality to prove this inequality?

Yes, the AM-GM inequality can be used to prove this inequality. The AM-GM inequality states that the arithmetic mean of a set of numbers is always greater than or equal to the geometric mean of the same set of numbers. By using this property, we can manipulate the given inequality to prove its truth.

5. How does this inequality relate to other mathematical concepts?

This inequality is related to concepts such as the AM-GM inequality, the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, and the rearrangement inequality. It is also closely related to the concept of convexity in mathematics.