Challenging question on impulse (or momentum)

In summary, the safety factor for preventing pancake collapse of the tall building must exceed 659.48.
i_hate_math

Homework Statement

Pancake collapse of a tall building. In the section of a tall building shown in Figure (a), the infrastructure of any given floor K must support the weight W of all higher floors. Normally the infrastructure is constructed with a safety factor s so that it can withstand an even greater downward force of sW. If, however, the support columns between K and L suddenly collapse and allow the higher floors to free-fall together onto floor K (Figure (b)), the force in the collision can exceed sW and, after a brief pause, cause K to collapse onto floor J , which collapses on floor I , and so on until the ground is reached. Assume that the floors are separated by d = 4.0 m and have the same mass. Also assume that when the floors above K free-fall onto K , the collision lasts 1.7 ms. Under these simplified conditions, what value must the safety factor s exceed to prevent pancake collapse of the building?
q84.jpg

Homework Equations

I am not sure which laws of physics this question is involved, but I assume it's on conservation of linear momentum. So for complete inelastic collision,
m1*v1i=(m1+m2)vf
Please let me know if there's anything else I should consider

OR the things above could be not relevant at all. The impulse of the falling floors is
J=Favg*∂t --> Favg=J/∂t

The Attempt at a Solution

So if i shall consider the impulse of the falling object, then i have the following
W*s=J/∂t for when the building does not fall
J is simply change in momentum, that is Delta(P)=Pf-Pi=m*vf-m*vi=m*vf
Now 0.5g*t^2=d , g*t=vf
then t=0.9035... and vf=8.8543...m/s
also m=W/9.8
so i got W*s=m*vf/∂t=((W/9.8)*8.8543)/0.00137=659.4948
apparently this is not the correct answer

Physics news on Phys.org
i_hate_math said:
Is it 1.7ms or 1.37ms?

Soz.. It's 1.7ms.

i_hate_math said:
Soz.. It's 1.7ms.
So what answer does that give you?

haruspex said:
So what answer does that give you?
OMG I am diggin a hole for myself

1. What is impulse?

Impulse is a measure of the change in momentum of an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the time it is applied.

2. How is impulse related to momentum?

Impulse and momentum are directly related. The impulse acting on an object is equal to the change in momentum of the object.

3. What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum of all objects remains constant. This means that the initial momentum of the objects before a collision is equal to the final momentum after the collision.

4. How is impulse related to collisions?

In a collision, the impulse acting on an object is equal to the change in momentum of the object. This means that the impulse can be used to calculate the force of the collision.

5. What are some real-world applications of impulse and momentum?

Impulse and momentum are important concepts in the study of physics and have many real-world applications. Some examples include analyzing car crashes, designing safer sports equipment, and understanding the behavior of particles in particle accelerators.