Challenging the Collapse: Examining the Proof of State in Quantum Physics

In summary, the concept of state "collapse" in quantum physics is often misunderstood and debated. The EPR experiment, conducted in 1935, raised the question of whether particles have definite attributes independent of observation. However, Bell's Theorem in 1965 and subsequent experiments in 1981 showed that this concept is not compatible with the predictions of quantum mechanics. This has called into question the assumption of "realism" and opened the possibility of non-local forces at work. Ultimately, the true understanding of how particles behave at the physical level is still unknown and continues to be a topic of study and debate among physicists.
hdsncts
Proof of state "collapse?

Maybe I don't even have the terminology correct for this... I'm a quantum physics noob :)

My question is this: take the EPR experiment for example. What I've heard is that each electron in the pair is in an indefinite state of spin (either + or - with respect to a certain axis). Supposedly, when one is measured, it "collapses" into a definite state of spin (say + with respect to the Z axis).

What proof is there that the electron wasn't always definitely spinning +1/2 with respect to the Z-axis. Why do physicists conclude that it was indefinite until the spin was measured?

Physics news on Phys.org

hdsncts said:
What proof is there that the electron wasn't always definitely spinning +1/2 with respect to the Z-axis. Why do physicists conclude that it was indefinite until the spin was measured?

That was a possibility that was raised in the EPR paper. In fact, they considered any other perspective to be "unreasonable" when their paradox was presented in 1935. They did not have any experimental evidence for that view, but they guessed what the outcome might be. They assumed that the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle (HUP) would be shown to have a limited scope, because QM was incomplete. EPR proved: IF QM was complete - i.e. that the HUP was not of limited scope - THEN the reality for one particle would be dependent on the reality for its distant partner particle. They considered this impossible, because they believed in "realism". Realism is the idea that a particle's attributes have definite values independent of the act of observation - the same as your question about having a definite spin of +1/2 with respect to the Z-axis. Or, to paraphrase Einstein, that the moon exists even when we are not watching it.

But that was long before Bell's Theorem. Bell (1965) showed that QM made some predictions which were incompatible with the EPR realism concept. This meant that an experiment could distinguish between these alternatives. In 1981, Aspect performed the experiment; the predictions of QM were upheld. This means that the realism assumption is now in doubt.

There is another possibility, and you may prefer this one: if there are non-local forces at work, then the experimental results could be explained. You could then keep realism.

DrChinese said:
That was a possibility that was raised in the EPR paper. In fact, they considered any other perspective to be "unreasonable" when their paradox was presented in 1935. They did not have any experimental evidence for that view, but they guessed what the outcome might be. They assumed that the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle (HUP) would be shown to have a limited scope, because QM was incomplete. EPR proved: IF QM was complete - i.e. that the HUP was not of limited scope - THEN the reality for one particle would be dependent on the reality for its distant partner particle. They considered this impossible, because they believed in "realism". Realism is the idea that a particle's attributes have definite values independent of the act of observation - the same as your question about having a definite spin of +1/2 with respect to the Z-axis. Or, to paraphrase Einstein, that the moon exists even when we are not watching it.

But that was long before Bell's Theorem. Bell (1965) showed that QM made some predictions which were incompatible with the EPR realism concept. This meant that an experiment could distinguish between these alternatives. In 1981, Aspect performed the experiment; the predictions of QM were upheld. This means that the realism assumption is now in doubt.

There is another possibility, and you may prefer this one: if there are non-local forces at work, then the experimental results could be explained. You could then keep realism.

I guess that makes sense. So you are saying that in the current context, then both locality and realism cannot be true. If non-local forces were at work, this would be described by hidden variables, am I correct? Man this stuff is so counter-intuitive for me... so hard to understand.

hdsncts said:
I guess that makes sense. So you are saying that in the current context, then both locality and realism cannot be true. If non-local forces were at work, this would be described by hidden variables, am I correct? Man this stuff is so counter-intuitive for me... so hard to understand.

Yes, that is correct.

If it is confusing, consider this: what would Einstein have thought of Bell's Theorem? Einstein was a VERY strong advocate of both Locality and Realism. Assuming that he would have leaned towards respecting Locality (as the father of relativity, i.e. the fundamental importance of c as a limit), he would have been forced to ditch Realism. That would be a blow to the EPR paper, his last major referenced work.

No one really has any idea of how things are working at the physical level. If there are non-local forces at work, why don't we have any other indication of their presence? And non-realism is perhaps even more counter-intuitive.

Related to Challenging the Collapse: Examining the Proof of State in Quantum Physics

1. What is "Proof of State Collapse"?

"Proof of State Collapse" is a term used in scientific research to describe the phenomenon of a state or government losing its ability to provide basic services and maintain control over its territory. This can occur due to various factors such as economic instability, political turmoil, or natural disasters.

2. How is "Proof of State Collapse" measured?

There is no single way to measure "Proof of State Collapse", as it is a complex and multifaceted phenomenon. However, some commonly used indicators include levels of violence and crime, access to basic services like healthcare and education, and the effectiveness of government institutions.

3. What causes "Proof of State Collapse"?

There is no one specific cause of "Proof of State Collapse", as it can be influenced by a combination of factors such as economic instability, corruption, political unrest, and external pressures. However, some common underlying causes include weak governance, inequality, and lack of resources or infrastructure.

4. How does "Proof of State Collapse" impact society?

When a state collapses, it can have severe consequences for its citizens and the broader society. This can include a breakdown of law and order, economic instability, displacement of populations, and a decline in living standards. It can also have effects on neighboring countries and global security.

5. What can be done to prevent or address "Proof of State Collapse"?

Preventing or addressing "Proof of State Collapse" is a complex and challenging task. It requires a comprehensive approach that addresses underlying causes such as corruption and inequality, as well as providing support for building stronger institutions and promoting economic stability. International cooperation and assistance can also play a crucial role in preventing and addressing state collapse.