Change in direction of velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate acceleration when the speed is constant and the direction of motion changes. It is determined that the magnitude of the change in velocity can be found using vector addition and the Pythagorean theorem, but the acceleration is calculated using the formula A=Δv/t. The direction of the acceleration will be in the direction of Δv and caution is advised when applying one-dimensional motion formulas.
ahmed emad

Homework Statement

If my car was moving to the right then I changed direction of motion to down, and the speed is constant and =5m\s, how to calculate acceleration

Homework Equations

Δv=vf-vi

The Attempt at a Solution

Make vectors addtion and use pythagorean theorem formula, so change in v will be : 5✓2.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you found the magnitude of the change in velocity. But that's not the acceleration. (How much time was involved?)

Sorry i forgrot write it , time is 2s

OK, so how do you calculate average acceleration?

A=∆v/t so 5✓2 /2 , is that right?

ahmed emad said:
A=∆v/t so 5✓2 /2 , is that right?
Looks good. But don't forget to attach the appropriate units.

Likes ahmed emad
But is the direction of acceleraion will be the direction of ∆v? And can I use kinimaticts fourmlas with this acceleration?

ahmed emad said:
But is the direction of acceleraion will be the direction of ∆v?
Yes, the direction of the average acceleration will be in the direction of Δv.

ahmed emad said:
And can I use kinimaticts fourmlas with this acceleration?
What did you have in mind? Is there more to this problem? (Be careful not to apply formulas meant for 1D motion with constant acceleration.)

No it's just was an addition from me , thank you so much , I understood it.

Related to Change in direction of velocity

1. What is "change in direction of velocity"?

Change in direction of velocity refers to the alteration in the path or direction of an object's movement. It is a vector quantity that takes into account both the magnitude and direction of an object's velocity.

2. How is change in direction of velocity calculated?

Change in direction of velocity can be calculated by finding the difference between an object's initial velocity vector and its final velocity vector. This can be done using vector addition or subtracting the initial velocity vector from the final velocity vector.

3. What causes a change in direction of velocity?

A change in direction of velocity can be caused by a variety of factors, such as a force acting on the object, a change in the object's speed, or a change in the direction of the object's motion. Inertia and external forces, such as friction or gravity, can also contribute to a change in direction of velocity.

4. How does change in direction of velocity relate to acceleration?

Change in direction of velocity is directly related to acceleration. This is because acceleration is the rate of change of velocity, and a change in direction of velocity involves a change in velocity. When an object's velocity changes, it must also accelerate in order to change its direction of motion.

5. How can change in direction of velocity be represented graphically?

Change in direction of velocity can be represented graphically using a velocity-time graph. The slope of the line on the graph represents the object's acceleration, and the direction of the line indicates the direction of the object's velocity. A curved line on the graph indicates a change in the object's acceleration, and therefore, a change in direction of velocity.