Change in Earth's gravity & rotational KE due to changes in Radius

In summary, when the radius of the Earth decreases by 2%, the rotational kinetic energy of the Earth decreases by 2%.
baldbrain

Homework Statement

Let g be the acceleration due to gravity at the Earth's surface and K be the rotational kinetic energy of the Earth. Suppose the Earth's radius decreases by 2%. Keeping all other quantities constant,
(a) g increases by 2% and K increases by 2%
(b) g increases by 4% and K increases by 4%
(c) g decreases by 4% and K decreases by 2%
(d) g decreases by 2% and K decreases by 4%

Homework Equations

g=GM/R2 , where M & R is the mass and the radius of the Earth respectively
K=(1/2)Iω2 , where I is the moment of inertia of the Earth about its axis of rotation and ω is it's angular velocity about the same axis

The Attempt at a Solution

(dR/R)100 = 2% ...(decrease)
Since all other quantities are constant,
i) g=GM/R2 ⇔ g ∝ R-2
⇒ dg/g = 2(dR/R)
⇒ (dg/g)100 = 2((dR/R)100)
= 2(2) = 4% ....(increase)
Since there is inverse proportionality, g increases by 4%

ii) K=(1/2)Iω2
Now, assuming the Earth to be a homogeneous sphere of uniform mass density, its moment of inertia about the diameter is
I=(2/5)MR2
Therefore K= (1/2)(2/5)MR2ω2 = (1/5)MR2ω2
Keeping all other quantities constant,
K ∝ R2
⇒dK/K = 2(dR/R)
⇒(dK/K)100 = 2((dR/R)100)
= 2(2) = 4% .... (decrease)
Since there is direct proportionality, K decreases by 4%Hence, g increases by 4% and K decreases by 4%
So, I think option (b) should've been - g increases by 4% and K decreases by 4%, instead of K increases by 4%
Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you claiming that ω is unaffected by the change in radius? What conservation law is involved?

gneill said:
Are you claiming that ω is unaffected by the change in radius? What conservation law is involved?
I understand ω will get affected. But they've said all other quantities are kept constant. By the way, if u substitute ω2=v2/R2, then the expression becomes independent of R altogether, which would then be meaningless.

I think that the phrase "Keeping all other quantities constant" should not be applied too broadly, otherwise one could argue that nothing should change despite the change in radius. In particular I believe that you must take into account how ω will change and thus affect the KE.

gneill said:
I think that the phrase "Keeping all other quantities constant" should not be applied too broadly, otherwise one could argue that nothing should change despite the change in radius. In particular I believe that you must take into account how ω will change and thus affect the KE.
Yeah, but as you can see, the expression is becoming independent of R if I substitute ω2 = v2/R2

HPPAS said:
Yeah, but as you can see, the expression is becoming independent of R if I substitute ω2 = v2/R2
I don't see how that substitution gets you anywhere. v is not a constant: it will change with both ω and R.

Take a look at conservation of angular momentum to see how ω changes with R.

gneill said:
I don't see how that substitution gets you anywhere. v is not a constant: it will change with both ω and R.

Take a look at conservation of angular momentum to see how ω changes with R.
Well, even my professor said that. But he too agrees that it should be 4% decrease.
Anyways, I'm getting the same answer even after considering angular momentum (we have to assume either of ω or v to be constant, or else it isn't possible)

Find the ratio of the new ω to the original ω in terms of the new radius and original radius. Use conservation of angular momentum. So,

##\frac{ω}{ω_o} = ?##

gneill said:
Find the ratio of the new ω to the original ω in terms of the new radius and original radius. Use conservation of angular momentum. So,

##\frac{ω}{ω_o} = ?##
(Ro/R)2

gneill said:
Keeping all other quantities constant" should not be applied too broadly
It's worse than that. The question is unanswerable.
If the radius changes then either the mass changes or the density changes. Which one are we to take as constant?
Same question with spin rate versus angular momentum.

Likes baldbrain
HPPAS said:
(Ro/R)2
Okay. Now apply that information to working out the ratio of the new KE to the original KE.

haruspex said:
If the radius changes then either the mass changes or the density changes. Which one are we to take as constant?
Same question with spin rate versus angular momentum.
No, mass is constant. Distribution of mass changes and hence Moment of Inertia (MI) changes.
I'm also thinking whether our assumption of the Earth as 'being a homogeneous sphere of uniform mass density' is valid. If not, I don't know anything about the MI of a geoid.

gneill said:
Okay. Now apply that information to working out the ratio of the new KE to the original KE.
I'm still getting the same answer
4% decrease
I think that sufficiently cross verifies that our answer is right, now that we've seen 3 different methods??

HPPAS said:
I'm still getting the same answer
4% decrease
I think that sufficiently cross verifies that our answer is right, now that we've seen 3 different methods??
Can you show your work?

HPPAS said:
No, mass is constant.
How do you know? Is the wording in post #1 not exactly what you were given?
But to get one of the given answers, you do have to suppose mass and angular momentum are constant.

Last edited:
I realized the hitch. Our approach wasn't wrong, it just wasn't the same as theirs.
If we substitute
K= (1/2)Iω2=(1/2)(Iω)*ω
K= (1/2)Lω=(1/2)L2/I
... since L=Iω & again ω=L/I
Then, we get K∝R-2
Which yields us their answer of 4% Increase

1. How does the Earth's gravity change with a change in its radius?

The Earth's gravity is directly proportional to its mass and inversely proportional to the square of its radius. This means that as the Earth's radius decreases, its gravity increases, and vice versa.

2. What is the relationship between rotational kinetic energy and changes in the Earth's radius?

The Earth's rotational kinetic energy is also affected by changes in its radius. As the Earth's radius decreases, its rotational kinetic energy increases due to conservation of angular momentum. This means that the Earth spins faster as it becomes smaller.

3. How do changes in Earth's gravity and rotational KE affect the length of a day?

Changes in the Earth's gravity and rotational KE can affect the length of a day. As the Earth's radius decreases, its rotational speed increases, causing the length of a day to become shorter. This is because the Earth completes one rotation faster, resulting in a shorter day.

4. Can changes in the Earth's radius have an impact on its orbit around the sun?

Yes, changes in the Earth's radius can have an impact on its orbit around the sun. This is because changes in the Earth's radius also affect its mass, which in turn affects its gravitational pull on the sun. As a result, the Earth's orbit may become more elliptical or circular depending on the change in radius.

5. How do changes in the Earth's radius and rotational KE contribute to climate change?

Changes in the Earth's radius and rotational KE can indirectly contribute to climate change. As the Earth's rotation speeds up due to a decrease in radius, the distribution of sunlight and heat across the planet may change, leading to changes in weather patterns and potentially contributing to global warming. However, this is just one factor among many that contribute to climate change.