How Do You Calculate Change in Kinetic Energy and Momentum for a Turning Loader?

In summary, the problem involves a 15,000kg loader initially traveling east at 20km/h, then turning south and traveling at 25km/h. The change in kinetic energy is calculated using the formula ΔKE= 1/2mvf^2 –1/2mvi^2 and the change in linear momentum is calculated using Δp= mv2 –mv1, taking into account the vector nature of momentum. It is important to separate the vectors into components (N-S and E-W) when calculating the change in momentum.
MPat

Homework Statement

A 15 000kg loader traveling east at 20km/h turns south and travels at 25km/h. Calculate the change in the loader's
a) kinetic energy
b) linear momentum

Homework Equations

ΔKE= 1/2mvf^2 –1/2mvi^2
Δp= mv2 –mv1
m= 15000
vi = 20km/h = 5.56m/s
vf= 25km/h = 6.94m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Part A I think I got.

Part B is where I am confused.
I am using Δp= mv2 –mv1
I substitute the numbers in
Δp= 15000*6.94 -15000*5.56
The magnitude of Δp that I arrive at is equal to 20 700...is that correct?

Also, when I am trying to find the change in direction when subtracting vectors you simply add the opposite direction. so rather than using east, i add my vector pointing south and add the initial vector but pointing west?

I then use this to calculate the angle for the direction. Is this right?

I tried to add an image to show you my diagram...but can't seem to figure out how!

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I am using Δp= mv2 –mv1
I substitute the numbers in
Δp= 15000*6.94 -15000*5.56
hint: momentum is a vector, and so is velocity
... so ##\Delta \vec p = \vec p_f - \vec p_i = m(\vec v_2-\vec v_1)##
... try subtracting the vectors by the heat-to-tail method.

But notice: you are not asked to find the magnitude of the change in momentum.

Last edited:
Simon Bridge said:
hint: momentum is a vector, and so is velocity
... so ##\Delta \vec p = \vec p_f - \vec p_i = m(\vec v_2-\vec v_1)##
... try subtracting the vectors by the heat-to-tail method.

But notice: you are not asked to find the magnitude of the change in momentum.
Thank you!

I think I got it, it's essentially the hypotenuse formed by the triangle...my numbers weren't adding up because I was forgetting that I had to separate the vectors into components, N-S and E-W.

Likes Simon Bridge
MPat said:
Thank you!

I think I got it, it's essentially the hypotenuse formed by the triangle...my numbers weren't adding up because I was forgetting that I had to separate the vectors into components, N-S and E-W.

Sometimes it's usful to look at vectors graphically, but you can also look at vectors as pairs (x, y) or triplets (x, y, z). In this case, you have:

Initial velocity ##= (u_x, u_y)##

Final velocity ##= (v_x, v_y)##

That might be an easier way to calculate the change in velocity and momentum in this case.

1. What is linear momentum?

Linear momentum is a measure of the quantity of motion an object has in a straight line. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity.

2. How does an object's mass affect its linear momentum?

The greater an object's mass, the greater its linear momentum will be. This is because the mass is directly proportional to the momentum in the equation p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

3. What is the relationship between force and change in linear momentum?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the change in linear momentum of an object is directly proportional to the force applied to it. This can be expressed mathematically as F = ∆p/∆t, where F is force, ∆p is the change in momentum, and ∆t is the change in time.

4. Can the linear momentum of an object change without an external force?

No, according to the Law of Conservation of Momentum, the total linear momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. This means that the net change in momentum of a system must be zero if there are no external forces acting on it.

5. How does an object's velocity affect its linear momentum?

The greater an object's velocity, the greater its linear momentum will be. This is because velocity is directly proportional to momentum in the equation p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. This means that an object with a higher velocity will have a greater linear momentum than an object with a lower velocity, even if they have the same mass.