Change in temperature for a system with entropy change

In summary: I am still stuck.In summary, the problem involves finding the initial temperature of water that was plunged into a 2.45-kg aluminum pan at 155∘C, given the final equilibrium temperature and the change in entropy of the system. The equation Δs=MaCa(ln(Tf/Tia))+MwCw(ln(Tf/Tiw)) can be used, but without the final equilibrium temperature Tf, it becomes difficult to solve. Another approach could be to use the first law of thermodynamics and the conservation of energy to come up with another equation. The specific heats of aluminum and water, Ca and Cw, can be looked up as they are known values. However, this still leaves Tf and Ti
MalcolmMck

Homework Statement

I am Pretty Lost with this problem...[/B]
A 2.45-kg aluminum pan at 155∘C is plunged into 3.58 kg of water. If the entropy change of the system is 162 J/K, what was the initial temperature of the water? NOTE:We did not receive a Tf for the system.

Homework Equations

Δs=mCln(T1/T2)
Δs=∫(1/T)dQ
Q=mcΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's what I have so far:
The change in entropy of the system is equal to the change in entropy of the aluminum plus the change in entropy of the water. This gave me the equation:
Δs=MaCa(ln(Tf/Tia))+MwCw(ln(Tf/Tiw))
where...
Ma and Mw are the masses of aluminum and water respectively
Ca and Cw are the specific heats of aluminum and water respectively
Tf is the final equilibrium temperature for the system\
Tia is the initial temperature of the aluminum
Tiw is the desired answer, the initial temperature of the water

I don't know how to move on without the Tf of the system. My attempts at solving for Tf led to something very messy. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there some other quantity in this scenario that is a conserved quantity ? Perhaps that way you can come to another equation so you end up with just as many equations as unknowns ...

As the entropy of the system is changing, the only thing that I could think of that would be conserved is energy. The first law of thermodynamics states that ΔU=W+Q where U is the internal energy. Also the equation relating T,U, and s is 1/T=Δs/ΔU. I'm not quite sure how I would use these two to produce another useful equation or incorporate conservation.

Perhaps you are allowed to look up the cp ?

Yes we are allowed to look up the specific heats. For aluminum Ca is 0.900 J/gK and for water, Cw is 4.184 J/gK. However, plugging these into my original equation still leaves Tiw and Tf unknown

1. What is the relationship between temperature change and entropy change?

The relationship between temperature change and entropy change is governed by the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases over time. This means that as the temperature of a system increases, its entropy also increases.

2. How does a change in temperature affect the entropy of a system?

A change in temperature affects the entropy of a system by altering the amount of thermal energy or disorder within the system. As the temperature increases, the molecules within the system become more energized and move around more, increasing the overall disorder or entropy of the system.

3. Can a change in temperature result in a decrease in entropy?

No, according to the second law of thermodynamics, the total entropy of a closed system can never decrease. While a change in temperature may cause localized decreases in entropy, the overall entropy of the system will always increase due to the increase in thermal energy and disorder.

4. How does the change in temperature affect the equilibrium of a system?

The change in temperature can affect the equilibrium of a system by shifting the equilibrium point to favor either the reactants or the products. This is because the equilibrium constant is dependent on temperature, and any change in temperature will alter the rate of the forward and reverse reactions, thus changing the equilibrium point.

5. What is the role of temperature in determining the spontaneity of a reaction?

Temperature plays a crucial role in determining the spontaneity of a reaction. In general, an increase in temperature will make a reaction more spontaneous, as it increases the disorder or entropy of the system. This is because a spontaneous reaction is one that results in a decrease in the Gibbs free energy, and an increase in temperature will decrease the Gibbs free energy of the system, making the reaction more spontaneous.