Change in time period of pendulum

In summary, the length of a simple pendulum executing SHM is increased by 21%, resulting in a 10.5% increase in the time period of the pendulum of increased length. However, the approximation used in the attempted solution is not applicable in this case and the correct approach is to calculate the ratio between the two time periods using the original formula.
Vibhor

Homework Statement

Q The length of a simple pendulum executing SHM is increased by 21% .The percentage increase in the time period of the pendulum of increased length is
a) 11%
b) 21%
c)42%
d)10%

Homework Equations

##T = 2\pi\sqrt{\frac{L}{g}}##

The Attempt at a Solution

##T^2 = 4{\pi}^2\frac{L}{g}##

By differentiating the above expression and dividing the resultant equation by the above equation, ##\frac{2dT}{T} = \frac{dL}{L}##

##\frac{2dT}{T}## x ##100 = \frac{dL}{L}## x ##100##

##\frac{dL}{L}## x##100 = 21##

Therefore , ##\frac{dT}{T}## x ##100 = 10.5 ## . But this isn't correct .

Please help me find the error in my approach .

Many Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is a really easy way to solve this question. If it increased by 21%, How can you put that in the equation.

Lets just say that I am gaining profit of 5% every month. If my original balance is 100$, and I want to know my balance after one month. Well I can just calculate
100 + 100 * 0.05
Which can be 1.05(100)

So you can do the same to the pendulum.

About your equation above how did you derive that equation? can you post your steps?

The approximation f(x+Δx)=f(x)+f '(x) Δx can be applied only when Δx/x << 1, which is not true now. Calculate the ratio between the two time periods from the original formula.

Likes Vibhor
ehild said:
The approximation f(x+Δx)=f(x)+f '(x) Δx can be applied only when Δx/x << 1, which is not true now.

Great ! :bow:

ehild said:
only when Δx/x << 1

Should that be Δx →0 ?

You know Δx, it is a fixed quantity.
In the limit, lim f(x+Δx)=f(x) when Δx→0.

Sorry . I did not understand your reply .

Vibhor said:
Great ! :bow:
Should that be Δx →0 ?
No, Δx is a fixed quantity. Ignore my second sentence.

Likes Vibhor
Ok . Thanks .

Related to Change in time period of pendulum

What is a pendulum and how does it work?

A pendulum is a simple device that consists of a weight suspended from a fixed point by a string or rod. When the weight is pulled to one side and released, it swings back and forth in a regular rhythm due to the force of gravity.

How does the time period of a pendulum change with length?

The time period of a pendulum is directly proportional to the square root of its length. This means that as the length of the pendulum increases, the time it takes for one swing (or one full cycle) also increases. This relationship was first discovered by Galileo Galilei in the 16th century.

What factors affect the time period of a pendulum?

The main factors that affect the time period of a pendulum are its length, mass, and the strength of gravity. Additionally, the angle at which the pendulum is released and any air resistance can also have an impact on the time period.

Why does the time period of a pendulum remain constant?

As long as the length and mass of a pendulum remain the same, the time period will remain constant. This is because the laws of physics, specifically the relationship between the length of a pendulum and its time period, dictate that the time period will not change unless one of these factors is altered.

How is the time period of a pendulum affected by different gravitational forces?

The time period of a pendulum is directly proportional to the square root of the strength of gravity. This means that in areas with higher gravitational forces, the time period will be shorter, and in areas with lower gravitational forces, the time period will be longer.