Change of coordinates in quantum phase space

In summary, the conversation discusses the formulation of quantum mechanics in phase space and the doubts related to chapter 5. The speaker mentions a transformation to modified polar coordinates and the similarity between the left side of equation (44) and the derivative with respect to φ in old coordinates. They also mention the symplectic structure of phase space and ask about the rules for coordinate changes and the applicability of differential operators. They request clarification and additional resources to read.
dft5
Hello!

I was reading a paper on formulation of QM in phase space (https://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0405029) and I have some doubts related to chapter 5. It seems to me that there is a transformation to modified polar coordinates (instead of radius there is u which is square of radius multiplied by a constant). Although there is no φ coordinate explicitly, left side of eq. (44) looks exactly like derivative with respect to φ in old coordinates and that's why (as it's equal to zero) Wigner function of harmonic oscillator depends only on u.
I suppose that we can't treat it exactly like PDE in Euclidean space with Cartesian coordinates (x,p) as phase space has symplectic structure.
What are the rules for coordinates change in quantum phase space when new coordinates are mixture of position and momentum coordinates?
Also second term in eq. (45) looks like Laplacian and in Euclidean space there are formulas for differential operators like gradient, rotation, divergence and Laplacian in arbitrary coordinate system involving metric tensor and its determinant. Can something similar be applied here?
Could you resolve my doubts and maybe also point out some materials that I should read?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The phase space is still mathematically speaking the same classical phase space (It is the algebra defined over it which changes). Thus -I suppose- one should utilize canonical transformations to effect a "change of coordinates".

1. What is the concept of "change of coordinates" in quantum phase space?

Change of coordinates in quantum phase space refers to the transformation of the set of coordinates used to describe the state of a quantum system. This transformation is used to simplify the mathematical description of the system and make it easier to analyze.

2. Why is it important to understand change of coordinates in quantum phase space?

Understanding change of coordinates in quantum phase space is important because it allows us to map the evolution of a quantum system in different coordinate systems, making it easier to study and manipulate. It also provides a more intuitive way to visualize the system and interpret the physical meaning of its properties.

3. How is change of coordinates in quantum phase space related to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle?

Change of coordinates in quantum phase space is closely related to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This is because a change in one coordinate will affect the other coordinate, making it impossible to measure both with complete precision.

4. Can change of coordinates in quantum phase space affect the outcome of a measurement?

Yes, change of coordinates in quantum phase space can affect the outcome of a measurement. This is because the coordinates used to describe a quantum system affect the way we interpret the results of a measurement. A change in coordinates can result in different measurement outcomes or probabilities.

5. Are there any limitations to using change of coordinates in quantum phase space?

While change of coordinates in quantum phase space is a useful tool for analysis, there are some limitations to its use. It may not be applicable to all quantum systems, and the choice of coordinates can affect the accuracy of the results. Additionally, it is important to carefully consider the physical interpretation of the system in different coordinate systems to avoid misinterpretations.