Change of radiation pressure of sunlight w.r.t. distance

In summary: I think Lambert's law could be a reason why the object appears some acceleration towards the sun, when the distance is not far enough.
HastiM
Hello,

Let me first describe the situation I am thinking of:
suppose we consider an object in the form of a square with some thickness (e.g. a mirror). Suppose further, that the gravitational force pulling the object towards the sun and the radiation pressure due to the sunlight are in balance (so that the object has no acceleration). If the object is far away from the sun we may consider the sun as a point source such that the radiation pressure depends on the distance r>0 between the sun and the object proportional to 1/r2 (similar as the gravitational force). Hence, if we change the position of the mirror a "little bit", both forces will still cancel each other out. Now, I am wondering what would happen if we move the mirror 'close enough' towards the sun, such that it would not be appropriate anymore to treat the sun as a point source?

I would expect that the radiation pressure will not maintain proportional to 1/r2. But I have no idea how it will depend on the distance r? Do you know how to investigate the situation?

I would appreciate your help very much! Best wishes

Science news on Phys.org
HastiM said:
I would expect that the radiation pressure will not maintain proportional to 1/r2.
Wouldn't the gravitational force also not maintain that proportionality, in the same way?

Thank you for your question. Honestly, I am not sure if the gravitational force would change...I assumed that it would stay the same because I thought the sun can be treated like a particle located at its center (when we assume the sun to be a perfect ball). Hence by Newton's law of gravitation, the gravitational force will point towards its center. But probably you are right, and my assumption is just wrong. Why do you think the gravitational force would change and how would it change?

My point is that if radiation pressure is always locally outwards along a radial line, with a 1/r2 dependence (measured from the center of the sun of course), and the gravitational force is always locally radially inwards along that line, also with a 1/r2 dependence, then they should always cancel for an object with suitable mass and reflectivity.

Hmmm... can reflectivity depend on the angle of incidence? If so, that might make a difference for an extended object. The amount of momentum that radiation transfers to an object depends on whether the radiation is absorbed or reflected.

Likes HastiM
jtbell said:
My point is that if radiation pressure is always locally outwards along a radial line, with a 1/r2 dependence (measured from the center of the sun of course), and the gravitational force is always locally radially inwards along that line, also with a 1/r2 dependence, then they should always cancel for an object with suitable mass and reflectivity.
Near the sun the sunlight is diffuse, because the light source is large. Far from the sun the sunlight is directional, because the light source appears small.

Likes HastiM
Thank you both very much for your help! I think Lambert's law could be a reason why the object appears some acceleration towards the sun, when the distance is not far enough. Best wishes

1. How does the radiation pressure of sunlight change with distance?

The radiation pressure of sunlight decreases with distance, following an inverse square law. This means that the further away an object is from the sun, the less radiation pressure it experiences. This is because the energy from sunlight spreads out over a larger area as it travels, resulting in a weaker force per unit area.

2. What is the relationship between the intensity of sunlight and radiation pressure?

The intensity of sunlight is directly proportional to radiation pressure. This means that as the intensity of sunlight increases, so does the radiation pressure. This is because higher intensity sunlight carries more energy and therefore exerts a stronger force on objects.

3. How does the radiation pressure of sunlight affect objects in space?

The radiation pressure of sunlight can have a significant impact on objects in space. For example, it can cause satellites and spacecraft to experience a small but constant force, which can affect their trajectory. It can also cause small particles to be pushed away from the sun, resulting in phenomena such as the tails of comets.

4. Can the radiation pressure of sunlight be harnessed for propulsion?

Yes, the radiation pressure of sunlight can be harnessed for propulsion in a process known as solar sailing. This involves using large, lightweight sails to capture the force of sunlight and propel a spacecraft through space. While the force is relatively small, it can be sustained over long periods of time and can potentially enable spacecraft to travel to distant locations without the need for traditional fuels.

5. How does the change in radiation pressure affect the habitability of planets?

The change in radiation pressure of sunlight with distance from the sun is a key factor in determining the habitability of planets. Planets that are too close to the sun may experience intense radiation pressure that can strip away their atmospheres and make them inhospitable to life. On the other hand, planets that are too far from the sun may not receive enough radiation pressure to sustain liquid water and support life.