Change of variable for leibniz notation

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding the change of notation in an example of a singular problem on a finite interval. The individual asks for the steps involved in deriving d2y/dx2 = λ d2y/dt2 and also mentions their understanding of the steps involved in deriving dy/dx=sqrt(λ)*dy/dt. The response includes the use of the chain rule and suggests a website for practicing mathjax.
progenitor
Hi

I have a question for change of notation.

Quote from textbook:

As an example of a singular problem on a finite interval, consider the equation
xy'' + y' + λxy = 0, (6)
or
−(xy')' = λxy, (7)
on the interval 0 < x < 1, and suppose that λ > 0. This equation arises in the study of
free vibrations of a circular elastic membrane, and is discussed further in Section 11.5.
If we introduce the new independent variable t defined by t =sqrt(λ)x, then
dy/dx=sqrt(λ)*dy/dt,
d2y/dx2 = λ*d2y/dt2.

my question is the steps involved in deriving d2y/dx2 = λ d2y/dt2.

My understanding in deriving dy/dx=sqrt(λ)*dy/dt is as follows:

since dy/dt = dy/dx*dx/dt
and dx/dt ->(using differentials) dt = sqrt(λ)dx -> dx/dt = 1/sqrt(λ) -> dy/dx = sqrt(λ)*dy/dt.

However, how do you derive d2y/dx2 = λ d2y/dt2?
I get 1=1 which is no help at all?

Sorry if this is noobie, I'm kind of new.

Also, is there a online notepad for practicing mathjax synatax? I like pretty equations.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi progenitor! welcome to pf! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
progenitor said:
If we introduce the new independent variable t defined by t =sqrt(λ)x, then

… how do you derive d2y/dx2 = λ d2y/dt2?

use the chain rule, d/dx = d/dt dt/dx = d/dt 1/√λ :wink:

(and you can practise your mathjax at https://www.physicsforums.com/mathjax/test/preview.html" :smile:)

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a change of variable for Leibniz notation?

A change of variable for Leibniz notation is a mathematical technique used to simplify the process of taking derivatives or integrals by substituting one variable for another. This allows for a simpler and more efficient way to solve complex problems.

Why is a change of variable useful in Leibniz notation?

A change of variable can make solving derivatives and integrals easier by transforming the function into a more manageable form. It can also help to identify patterns and relationships between variables.

How do you perform a change of variable in Leibniz notation?

To perform a change of variable, you must first identify the variable that you want to substitute. Then, you rewrite the function in terms of the new variable. Finally, you use the chain rule to solve for the derivative or integral in terms of the new variable.

What are the benefits of using a change of variable in Leibniz notation?

Using a change of variable can make solving derivatives and integrals more efficient and can help to identify patterns and relationships between variables. It also allows for a more elegant and concise solution to complex problems.

What are some common examples of a change of variable in Leibniz notation?

One common example is using the substitution u = x^2 to solve integrals involving polynomials. Another example is using the substitution x = sinθ to solve integrals involving trigonometric functions. These substitutions can simplify the integrals and make them easier to solve.