Changing galvanometer reading in the secondary coil of a transformer?

In summary: The wording of the question is not clear.I think I would have to accept answer B.In summary, the conversation discusses the setup of a transformer and the effect on its function when the number of turns in the primary coil is decreased. It is concluded that decreasing the number of turns in the primary coil will result in a step-up transformer, contrary to the given answer of step-down transformer. There is also a discussion about the function of a galvanometer and the difference between ammeter and voltmeter modes. It is determined that the galvanometer will display a larger deflection when the secondary current is increased, leading to the conclusion that the correct answer is B.
pkc111
Homework Statement
See photo
How could the size of the deflection be increased?
Relevant Equations
V1/V2 = n1/n2
The present setup is a step-down transformer.

Im thinking if n1 is decreased to match or be less than n2, then it will be a step up transformer.
so A.

(but answers say B)?

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 101
Physics news on Phys.org
pkc111 said:
Relevant Equations:: V1/V2 = n1/n2

The present setup is a step-down transformer.

Im thinking if n1 is decreased to match or be less than n2, then it will be a step up transformer.
so A.

(but answers say B)?
You are correct (answer A). The official answer (B) is wrong.

Likes berkeman
Thank you Steve

Likes berkeman and Steve4Physics
Hmm. A galvanometer is not a voltmeter, it's essentially a current meter. So you want to increase the secondary current in order to increase the deflection. To me it looks like answer (B) is correct.

Likes Steve4Physics, vela and berkeman
gneill said:
Hmm. A galvanometer is not a voltmeter, it's essentially a current meter. So you want to increase the secondary current in order to increase the deflection. To me it looks like answer (B) is correct.
Surely the current through the galvanometer is proportional to the voltage applied across it.

Reducing the number of turns (##{N_1}## )of the primary increases the ratio ##\frac{N_2}{N_1}## which increases the induced emf in the secondary coil.

The voltage across the galvanometer is a fraction of this induced emf (the fraction depending on the resistances of the galvanometer and the secondary winding).

An ideal galvanometer should be taken to have zero resistance. It responds to the current passing through it. In real-life situations a good galvanometer will have very low resistance.

In an ideal transformer the voltage and current goes as:

$$\frac{n_1}{n_2} = \frac{V_1}{V_2} = \frac{I_2}{I_1}$$

So the larger the "step_down" ratio, the larger the induced current in the secondary.

Edit: Fixed typo in the equation.

gneill said:
An ideal galvanometer should be taken to have zero resistance. It responds to the current passing through it. In real-life situations a good galvanometer will have very low resistance.

In an ideal transformer the voltage and current goes as: $$\frac{n_1}{n_2} = \frac{V_1}{V_2} = \frac{I_2}{I_1}$$
So the larger the "step_down" ratio, the larger the induced current in the secondary.
If we consider a truly ‘ideal’ circuit, i.e. one with all resistances zero, that would lead to zero currents (infinite time constants in primary and secondary inductive circuits).

But I think I agree with you - the question is asking how to increase the secondary current (because a low-resistance galvanometer acts as an ammeter). This gives answer B.

If the diagram showed a voltmeter, the question would be asking how to increase the secondary voltage. This would give answer A.

In my own defence I’ll note that galvanometers typically have resistances in the range 1Ω to 100Ω. It’s not entirely clear if the galvanometer in the question would be acting in ‘ammeter mode’ or ‘voltmeter mode’. So when the question refers to ‘galvanometer deflection’ there is ambiguity whether to consider current or voltage.

1. How does changing the galvanometer reading in the secondary coil affect the transformer?

Changing the galvanometer reading in the secondary coil of a transformer can affect the overall performance of the transformer. It can alter the voltage and current levels in the secondary coil, which can impact the efficiency of the transformer.

2. What factors can cause a change in the galvanometer reading in the secondary coil?

There are several factors that can cause a change in the galvanometer reading in the secondary coil, including the number of turns in the secondary coil, the strength of the magnetic field, and the current flowing through the primary coil.

3. How can I adjust the galvanometer reading in the secondary coil of a transformer?

The galvanometer reading in the secondary coil can be adjusted by changing the number of turns in the secondary coil or by adjusting the current flowing through the primary coil. These changes can be made manually or by using a variable transformer.

4. What is the purpose of changing the galvanometer reading in the secondary coil?

Changing the galvanometer reading in the secondary coil allows for the output voltage and current of the transformer to be adjusted to meet specific requirements. This is important for regulating the power supply and ensuring the safe operation of electrical devices.

5. Are there any risks associated with changing the galvanometer reading in the secondary coil?

Yes, there are risks associated with changing the galvanometer reading in the secondary coil. If not done properly, it can lead to overloading or damaging the transformer, as well as causing electrical hazards. It is important to follow proper procedures and safety precautions when making any adjustments to a transformer.