Changing my wood chipper's engine

In summary, the individual is seeking to replace the engine on their wood chipper with a different engine and a differential. However, this may not be feasible due to potential safety risks and the high cost and effort involved. It is recommended to rebuild the original engine instead.
Skylight100
Hello everyone

I have a wood chipper as shown in photos attached to this message called 'Morbark1.jpg' and 'Morbark5.jpg'.

The engine on it as standard (Kohler Command CH25s 25hp) is too much hassle, time and money to fix and repair. My question is I wish to attach another engine onto the chipper as shown below...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/engine-1149cc-renault-clio-1-2-16v-3dr-98-06-nc03owd-sheffield-/400786226055?hash=item5d50b87b87:g:XwcAAOSwEppUNmch

with a differential...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bmw-E36-3-38-Rotation-Diff/282427857698?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3Dc22cdc5b61bc47c1925e9775dbbfbcda%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D8%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D112201001648

to branch off the main drive shaft perpendicular into the cutting drum located just before the input foliage shoot. Is this theoretically possible to attach a 1.2 8v petrol engine into a differential ? ie are there pto adaptors and the like that can link the engine to the differential. and likewise the differential into the cutting drum? thanks :)

Attachments

• Morbark1.jpg
    Morbark1.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 376
  • Morbark5.jpg
    Morbark5.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 365
Engineering news on Phys.org
i love your upbeat attitude on replacing the engine. I do not recommend it from an economic side , convenience side or safety side.
The chipper has been sized to run at a constant RPM with the Koehler engine. All related hardware is designed to work safely at the specified RPM. To change anyone design feature will weaken the support structure, wear out bearings and related hardware and may cause the chipper blades to fail ( fly apart) ..not good for the human operator. The adaptation of the differential and large engine make a very large foot print versus the compact design. The adaptation of the non standard components will not be cheap. i recommend rebuild the original engine.

Likes RogueOne and RonL
Ranger Mike said:
i love your upbeat attitude on replacing the engine. I do not recommend it from an economic side , convenience side or safety side.
The chipper has been sized to run at a constant RPM with the Koehler engine. All related hardware is designed to work safely at the specified RPM. To change anyone design feature will weaken the support structure, wear out bearings and related hardware and may cause the chipper blades to fail ( fly apart) ..not good for the human operator. The adaptation of the differential and large engine make a very large foot print versus the compact design. The adaptation of the non standard components will not be cheap. i recommend rebuild the original engine.
Good advice from Ranger Mike. Thread is closed.

Likes RogueOne and Ranger Mike

1. How do I know when it's time to change my wood chipper's engine?

There are a few signs that indicate it may be time to change your wood chipper's engine. These include decreased performance, difficulty starting, strange noises, and visible wear and tear on the engine components. It's important to regularly inspect and maintain your chipper to catch any potential issues early on.

2. Can I use any type of engine as a replacement for my wood chipper's engine?

No, you should always use an engine that is specifically designed for use in a wood chipper. These engines are built to withstand the demands of shredding wood and have the necessary safety features in place.

3. What factors should I consider when choosing a new engine for my wood chipper?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a new engine for your wood chipper include the engine's horsepower, torque, and compatibility with your chipper's frame and components. It's also important to consider the warranty and customer reviews of different engine brands.

4. Do I need any special tools or expertise to change my wood chipper's engine?

The process of changing a wood chipper's engine can vary depending on the specific model and type of engine. It's important to consult the manufacturer's instructions and have the necessary tools, such as wrenches and sockets, on hand. If you are not familiar with small engine repair, it may be best to seek the help of a professional.

5. How often should I change my wood chipper's engine?

The lifespan of a wood chipper's engine can vary depending on usage and maintenance. It's important to regularly check and replace the engine oil, air filter, and spark plug according to the manufacturer's recommendations. With proper care, a wood chipper's engine can last for several years before needing to be replaced.

Back