Changing the effective mass of an electron using electric potentials?

In summary, The Dirac equation for an electron in the presence of an electromagnetic 4-potential ##A_\mu## is given by $$\gamma^\mu\big(i\partial_\mu-eA_\mu\big)\psi-m_e\psi=0.$$ The Weyl basis is assumed, and the electron is stationary with an electric potential ##\phi_{E}##. This leads to equations for ##\psi_L## and ##\psi_R##, which can be combined to obtain equations for ##\chi_+## and ##\chi_-## that describe the electron and positron with an effective rest mass/energy ##M_e=m_e-e\phi_E## and ##M_p=m_e+
jcap
The Dirac equation for an electron in the presence of an electromagnetic 4-potential ##A_\mu##, where ##\hbar=c=1##, is given by
$$\gamma^\mu\big(i\partial_\mu-eA_\mu\big)\psi-m_e\psi=0.\tag{1}$$
I assume the Weyl basis so that
$$\psi=\begin{pmatrix}\psi_L\\\psi_R\end{pmatrix}\hbox{ and }\gamma_0=\begin{pmatrix}0&I\\I&0\end{pmatrix}.\tag{2}$$
I assume that the electron is stationary so that
$${\bf\hat{p}}\psi=-i\nabla\psi=(0,0,0).\tag{3}$$
Finally I assume that an electric potential ##\phi_{E}## exists so that we have
$$A_\mu=(-\phi_{E},0,0,0).\tag{4}$$
Substituting into the Dirac equation ##(1)## we find
$$i\begin{pmatrix}0&I\\I&0\end{pmatrix}\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\begin{pmatrix}\psi_L\\\psi_R\end{pmatrix}+e\ \phi_E\begin{pmatrix}0&I\\I&0\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}\psi_L\\\psi_R\end{pmatrix}-m_e\begin{pmatrix}\psi_L\\\psi_R\end{pmatrix}=0.\tag{5}$$
Writing out the two equations for ##\phi_L## and ##\phi_R##, contained in Eqn ##(5)##, explicitly we obtain
$$\begin{eqnarray*}
i\frac{\partial\psi_R}{\partial t} &=& m_e\ \psi_L - e\ \phi_E\ \psi_R\tag{6}\\
i\frac{\partial\psi_L}{\partial t} &=& -e\ \phi_E\ \psi_L + m_e\ \psi_R.\tag{7}
\end{eqnarray*}$$
Adding and subtracting Eqns. ##(6)## and ##(7)## we obtain
$$\begin{eqnarray*}
i\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\big(\psi_L+\psi_R\big) &=& \big(m_e\ - e\ \phi_E\big)\big(\psi_L+\psi_R\big)\tag{8}\\
i\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\big(\psi_L-\psi_R\big) &=& \big(-m_e\ - e\ \phi_E\big)\big(\psi_L-\psi_R\big).\tag{9}
\end{eqnarray*}$$
It seems to me that Eqn. ##(8)## describes an electron with an effective rest mass/energy ##M_e=m_e-e\phi_E## and Eqn. ##(9)## describes a positron with an effective rest mass/energy ##M_p=m_e+e\phi_E##.

If we can change the effective mass of electrons/positrons by changing the electric potential ##\phi_E## then can we change the dynamics of electrons in atoms by applying a large ##\phi_E\sim m_e/e##?

Physics news on Phys.org
johne1618 asked same question 9 years ago :)

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...-increased-by-electrostatic-potential.562505/

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...on-increased-by-electromagnetic-field.562314/

Define ##\psi_+=\psi_L+\psi_R##, ##\psi_-=\psi_L-\psi_R## and ##f=e\phi_E##

Redefine ##\chi_+=e^{-ift}\psi_+## and ##\chi_-=e^{-ift}\psi_-##

The electrostatic potential drops out to leave the standard equations for the electron/positron rest mass energy ##m_e##:
$$i\frac{\partial\chi_+}{\partial t}=m_e\chi_+$$
$$i\frac{\partial\chi_-}{\partial t}=-m_e\chi_-$$

Last edited:

What is the effective mass of an electron?

The effective mass of an electron is a measure of its inertia or resistance to acceleration in a solid material. It is affected by the electron's interactions with the surrounding atoms and electric fields.

How can electric potentials change the effective mass of an electron?

By applying an electric potential to a solid material, the electron's interactions with the surrounding atoms can be altered, leading to a change in its effective mass. This change can be either positive or negative, depending on the direction and strength of the electric potential.

What is the relationship between electric potential and effective mass?

The relationship between electric potential and effective mass is not a direct one. The change in effective mass is dependent on the material's properties, such as its band structure and crystal structure, which can be affected by the electric potential.

Can the effective mass of an electron be changed indefinitely with electric potentials?

No, the effective mass of an electron cannot be changed indefinitely with electric potentials. There are limits to how much the electron's interactions with its surroundings can be altered, and eventually, the change in effective mass will reach a plateau.

What are the practical applications of changing the effective mass of an electron using electric potentials?

Changing the effective mass of an electron can have various practical applications, such as in semiconductor devices, where it can be used to control the flow of electrons and improve the performance of electronic devices. It can also be used in quantum computing and other advanced technologies.