Chaos (Non-Linear Dynamics) Driven Damped Pendulum

In summary, the speaker wants to investigate the phenomenon of chaos in a driven, damped pendulum using a computer simulation. They initially planned to use the Lyapunov exponent as a measure of the "degree of chaos," but they are unsure how to calculate it. They ask for suggestions on alternative measures or dependent variables and mention the possibility of using the circle map and calculating the topological entropy. They also provide links for further reading on the topic.
H-S-D
I want to investigate the phenomenon of Chaos in the form of how its driving amplitude affects _____, in a driven, damped pendulum, using a computer simulation given.

Initially I was looking at 'degree of chaos' for the dependent variable - to measure this I wanted to use the Lyapunov exponent, however I do not know how to calculate this.

1) Is there a simple way to calculate this? If not,
2) Are there any other ways I can measure the 'degree of chaos' of this driven damped pendulum? If not,
3) Are there any other possible things I can set as a dependent variable? With the system being chaotic, I do not know if I can measure any sort of correlation between two variables...

Thank you SO MUCH for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
For most pendulum type problems, you need two degrees of freedom (coordinates) to have chaos.

Yes, the driven damped pendulum is the addition of a torque, or force, to a simple pendulum with gravity and damping - there are 3 forces acting on it which makes it chaotic.

1. What is a Chaos Driven Damped Pendulum?

A Chaos Driven Damped Pendulum is a physical system consisting of a pendulum attached to a pivot point with a damped harmonic oscillator, which is driven by a chaotic force. This type of system exhibits chaotic behavior, which means its motion is highly sensitive to initial conditions and appears random, yet is governed by deterministic equations.

2. How does the damping affect the motion of a Chaos Driven Damped Pendulum?

The damping in a Chaos Driven Damped Pendulum causes the amplitude of the pendulum's motion to gradually decrease over time. This means that the pendulum will eventually come to rest at its equilibrium position. The amount of damping also affects the period of the pendulum's motion, with higher damping resulting in a shorter period.

3. What is the role of the driving force in a Chaos Driven Damped Pendulum?

The driving force in a Chaos Driven Damped Pendulum is the external force that acts on the pendulum, causing it to deviate from its natural oscillation. This force is often chaotic, meaning it is unpredictable and can lead to chaotic motion of the pendulum. The strength and frequency of the driving force also play a role in the behavior of the pendulum.

4. What are the applications of studying Chaos Driven Damped Pendulums?

Studying Chaos Driven Damped Pendulums can have practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. The chaotic behavior of these systems can be applied to create more efficient and stable designs for machines and structures, as well as provide insights into nonlinear phenomena in nature.

5. Can a Chaos Driven Damped Pendulum ever exhibit regular, predictable motion?

Although the behavior of a Chaos Driven Damped Pendulum is highly sensitive to initial conditions and appears random, it is still governed by deterministic equations. This means that with precise initial conditions and parameters, the pendulum's motion can be predicted and exhibit regular, periodic behavior. However, small variations in these conditions can lead to chaotic behavior.