Characteristic of all Bravais lattices

In summary, I suggest consulting Fundamentals of Crystallography for a thorough understanding of the characteristics of bravais lattices.
Pual Black
Hello
I have to prove mathematically all the characteristics of bravais lattices.
I googled it but they just explain the cubic lattices. I want a source where i can find all the 7 crystal systems.
What i need to know are:
Volume, conventional cell
Lattice points per unit cell
Volume of primitive cell
Number of nearest neighbors
Packing fraction or efficiency
I don't want a table where all the information are given. I need a source where this information are explained and where the came from.
Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
The best source that I can recommend to you is the book Fundamentals of Crystallography by C. Giacovazzo, H.L. Monaco, G. Artioli, and D. Viterbo. This book provides a comprehensive overview of the seven crystal systems, including their lattice points, volume, primitive cell, number of nearest neighbors, and packing fraction or efficiency. Additionally, it contains worked examples that illustrate how these characteristics are determined mathematically.

What are the basic characteristics of all Bravais lattices?

The basic characteristics of all Bravais lattices include a repeating, three-dimensional arrangement of points or nodes, known as lattice points, and a set of translational symmetry operations that describe how the lattice points are arranged in space.

How many Bravais lattices are there in total?

There are 14 Bravais lattices in total, which are classified into seven crystal systems based on their symmetry properties.

What is the difference between a primitive unit cell and a conventional unit cell in Bravais lattices?

A primitive unit cell contains only one lattice point, while a conventional unit cell may contain multiple lattice points. The conventional unit cell is often chosen to represent the symmetry of the lattice more clearly.

Can Bravais lattices have different shapes and sizes?

Yes, Bravais lattices can have different shapes and sizes, as long as they maintain the same lattice point arrangement and symmetry operations. This allows for the existence of different crystal structures within the same Bravais lattice.

How are Bravais lattices used in materials science?

Bravais lattices are used in materials science to describe the arrangement of atoms or molecules in a crystalline solid. This information is important for understanding the physical, chemical, and mechanical properties of materials.