Characteristics of the parent logarithmic function

In summary, the parent function ##f(x)=log_b(x)## is defined for all positive real numbers, but not for any negative numbers. This is because the range of the exponential inverse function is only positive numbers. However, the author of the text was imprecise by saying "for any real number x".
opus
Gold Member
I just started going over logarithmic functions in my text, and I have a question on a summary it gives on the parent function ##f\left(x\right)=log_{b}\left(x\right)##
In the attached image, it says that "for any real number x...we see the following characteristics of ##f\left(x\right)=log_{b}\left(x\right)##

My confusion is with the "for any real number x". If we were allowed to take the logarithm of any real number x, we would be allowed to take the logarithm of negative values. And if we were allowed to take the logarithm of negative values, we could have something like ##f\left(-8\right)=log_{2}\left(-8\right)##. However 2 raised to any power will not give a negative value. So can we take the logarithm of all reals, or only positive values?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-22 at 5.52.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-22 at 5.52.56 PM.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,620
Mathematics news on Phys.org
opus said:
I just started going over logarithmic functions in my text, and I have a question on a summary it gives on the parent function ##f\left(x\right)=log_{b}\left(x\right)##
In the attached image, it says that "for any real number x...we see the following characteristics of ##f\left(x\right)=log_{b}\left(x\right)##

My confusion is with the "for any real number x". If we were allowed to take the logarithm of any real number x, we would be allowed to take the logarithm of negative values. And if we were allowed to take the logarithm of negative values, we could have something like ##f\left(-8\right)=log_{2}\left(-8\right)##. However 2 raised to any power will not give a negative value. So can we take the logarithm of all reals, or only positive values?
Only of positive real numbers, that's what is meant by domain in the text, which is ##(0,\infty)##. Things change if we consider complex variables and the complex logarithm. But in ##\mathbb{R}## we only can have positive values. This is why I don't like the notation one-to-one for injectivity, because although no two numbers are hit the same value, we still don't have all values available. So it should be one-of-all-allowed-to-one, but I guess this terrible habit of calling something one-to-one only if it's injective won't get extinct.

Likes opus
So it is an implied positive real x values? Or we just know that the domain, as you stated, is ##\left(0,∞\right)##, because the range of it's exponential inverse function is ##\left(0,∞\right)##?

opus said:
So it is an implied positive real x values? Or we just know that the domain, as you stated, is ##\left(0,∞\right)##, because the range of it's exponential inverse function is ##\left(0,∞\right)##?
I wouldn't reason with the inverse function, as it doesn't always exist, but we can always speak of domain and range. The domain are the allowed values a variable can take for a function, here the logarithm. So for all positive values ##x>0## the function ##\log_b(x)## is defined. Now the range is simply the set of values we can reach with the function: ##\operatorname{range}(f) = \{y\in \mathbb{R}\, : \,y=f(x) \text{ for some }x\text{ of the domain }\}##. In general there can be more than one value ##x## which hits ##f(y)##. For the range we just need at least one. There is exactly one for injective functions and we can build an inverse on the range, plus the logarithm has this property, but we wouldn't have an inverse for ##x \mapsto x^2##. However, it also has a domain (##\mathbb{R}##) and a range (##\mathbb{R}^+_0##).

opus said:
So it is an implied positive real x values?
You shouldn't have to infer it. The author of the piece in the screenshot was being sloppy by saying "for any real number x". The real-valued log function that is evidently intended is defined only on the positive real numbers. There is a complex-valued log function, but that's definitely not what the author intended or showed in the pictured graphs.

1. What is the parent logarithmic function?

The parent logarithmic function is the basic form of the logarithmic function, written as y = logb(x), where b is the base of the logarithm. It is the inverse of the exponential function y = bx.

2. What are the key characteristics of the parent logarithmic function?

The key characteristics of the parent logarithmic function include: a vertical asymptote at x = 0, a horizontal asymptote at y = 0, a one-to-one relationship between x and y values, and a graph that approaches but never touches the x-axis.

3. How does the base of the logarithm affect the parent logarithmic function?

The base of the logarithm determines the rate at which the function increases or decreases. A larger base results in a steeper curve, while a smaller base results in a flatter curve. The base also determines the location of the horizontal asymptote, with a base greater than 1 having a horizontal asymptote above the x-axis and a base less than 1 having a horizontal asymptote below the x-axis.

4. What is the domain and range of the parent logarithmic function?

The domain of the parent logarithmic function is all positive real numbers, since the logarithm of a negative number is undefined. The range is all real numbers, as the function can output both positive and negative values.

5. How do transformations affect the parent logarithmic function?

Transformations, such as shifting and reflecting, affect the parent logarithmic function in a similar way as they do for other functions. For example, a horizontal shift will move the graph of the function left or right, while a vertical shift will move it up or down. The base of the logarithm remains unchanged during transformations.