Charge and Coulombs - what does 0 coulombs mean?

In summary: An object with no net charge has a charge of zero coulombs. You can calculate this by adding up all of the charges on the object and dividing by the number of atoms in the object.
beer
I'm studying electrostatics and magnetism right now in Physics II for Engineers. I'm doing ok with most of the concepts, doing well in class, etc.

I'm missing (or at least not 100% sure) of a basic part of the concept here. I feel like I'm correct in assuming that an object with no charge is measured at 0 coulombs, meaning that there are an equal number of protons and electrons, although their count is not determined by the measurement. I've not actually been able to see it written plainly in print anywhere. I just need a solid confirmation on the fact...

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, an object with no net charge has a charge of zero coulombs.

beer said:
I'm missing (or at least not 100% sure) of a basic part of the concept here. I feel like I'm correct in assuming that an object with no charge is measured at 0 coulombs, meaning that there are an equal number of protons and electrons, although their count is not determined by the measurement. I've not actually been able to see it written plainly in print anywhere. I just need a solid confirmation on the fact...
Yes, the charge of an object is the excess charge. So having equal amount of positive and negative charges means that the charge of the object is zero.

We have charge, when occurs imbalance between opposite charges of the atom. This is happening when from a neutral atom, leave one or more electrons and then, the rest of the atom has a positive charge and it is now a positive ion. Conversely if in a neutral atom, added one or more electrons, then a negative ion formed, which have negative charge. Thus, a body is neutral when its atoms are neutral. In metal's atoms the outwardly electrons are loosely bonded to the core and moving continuously and randomly into the mass of the metal. The typical electrical behavior of metals is due to the free electrons.
I hope to help you my child

I can confirm that your understanding is correct. Coulombs are a unit of measurement for electric charge, and 0 coulombs means that there is no net electric charge on an object. This means that the number of protons and electrons in the object is equal, resulting in a neutral charge. This concept is fundamental in the study of electrostatics and is crucial in understanding the behavior of electric fields and forces. Keep up the good work in your studies!

1. What is charge?

Charge is a fundamental property of matter that describes the amount of electrical force present in an object.

2. What is the unit of charge?

The unit of charge is the coulomb (C), which is named after the French physicist Charles-Augustin de Coulomb.

3. What does 0 coulombs mean?

0 coulombs means that an object has an equal number of positive and negative charges, making it electrically neutral.

4. How is charge related to Coulomb's law?

Coulomb's law states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

5. Can an object have a fractional value of charge?

No, an object cannot have a fractional value of charge. Charge is a quantized property, meaning it can only exist in discrete whole numbers.