Charged Black Hole Hawking Radiation: Answers to Questions

In summary, the conversation discusses the charge of an electron in units where G, c, and hbar are equal to 1, the behavior of a charged black hole in isolation, the constant charge of a black hole according to some field equations, and the violation of conservation laws in the process of a black hole emitting Hawking radiation. The conversation also briefly touches on the use of geometrical units and Planck units for charge conversion.
SlowThinker
I was thinking about the title but after searching Arxiv, PF and the internet in general, my confusion has only increased. I have a few questions:
1. Often I see units where ##G=c=\hbar=1##, but what is the charge of an electron in these units? Everyone says M=Q as if it was somehow obvious how much charge corresponds to 1 kg.
2. Does a charged black hole, far away from other matter, keep its charge, or does it get rid of the charge by emitting more electrons than positrons (or the reverse)?
I don't quite understand https://arxiv.org/abs/1503.04944v2 but it seems to say that the charge is constant:
bottom of page 7 said:
Namely, the field equations require that Φ is a real field and the electric charge Q is constant.
but the last page of https://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0602146 clearly has equations for outgoing current flow. Again, the actual math is well outside my knowledge.
3. If I throw matter into a black hole, and gather the outgoing radiation, and convert it into matter, have I just violated the conservation of lepton number and baryon number?

While I am at it,
4. If I surround a black hole with a charged (metal) sphere, will its Hawking radiation be the same as without the sphere, namely, will it emit charged particles? (If needed for the answer, the excess opposite charge is stored in a space station orbiting the sphere.)

Likes Dale
Physics news on Phys.org
SlowThinker said:
what is the charge of an electron in these units?

See the table here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometrized_unit_system#Geometrical_quantities

It gives the conversion factor from conventional charge units (SI) to geometric charge units (length).

SlowThinker said:
Does a charged black hole, far away from other matter, keep its charge, or does it get rid of the charge by emitting more electrons than positrons (or the reverse)?

It depends on what model you're using. If you're using classical GR + classical Maxwell's Equations, the charge of the hole is a constant. If you want to try to model the possibility of the hole emitting charged particles, you would have to use quantum gravity; the papers you link to appear to be trying to construct such models. This is an open area of research so I don't think we have any firm answers at this point as to what actually happens.

SlowThinker said:
If I throw matter into a black hole, and gather the outgoing radiation, and convert it into matter, have I just violated the conservation of lepton number and baryon number?

I assume you're referring to Hawking radiation? Yes, as far as we know the process of forming a black hole and then letting it evaporate by Hawking radiation violates baryon and lepton number conservation. But we don't really know the correct theory for this process, so we can't be sure.

Likes SlowThinker

1. What is Hawking Radiation?

Hawking Radiation is a type of radiation that is predicted to be emitted by black holes due to quantum effects near the event horizon.

2. How is Hawking Radiation related to Charged Black Holes?

Hawking Radiation is predicted to be emitted by all types of black holes, including charged black holes. The charge of the black hole affects the properties of the radiation, such as its energy and spectrum.

3. How does Hawking Radiation affect the lifespan of a Charged Black Hole?

Hawking Radiation causes black holes to lose mass over time, and the rate of mass loss is higher for smaller black holes. This means that charged black holes will eventually evaporate due to Hawking Radiation, regardless of their initial size.

4. Can Hawking Radiation be observed or detected?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for Hawking Radiation, as it is too weak to be detected by current technology. However, scientists are searching for indirect evidence through astronomical observations and experiments.

5. How does the temperature of Hawking Radiation compare to other types of radiation in the universe?

The temperature of Hawking Radiation is inversely proportional to the mass of the black hole, meaning that smaller black holes have a higher temperature. However, the temperature of Hawking Radiation is still extremely low compared to other types of radiation in the universe, making it difficult to detect.