Charged pendulum in magnetic field

In summary, the question is asking for clarification on the coordinate axes for a problem involving a charged particle in a magnetic field. The problem statement says the B-field points "up" in the positive z direction, but your statement seems to imply that you are taking "up" as the positive y direction. The problem statement also says the charge is constrained to move along a path in xy-plane, but it is not clear what the coordinate axes are for this problem.
Muthumanimaran

Homework Statement

The question is in the attached document

Homework Equations

Newton's second law states that F=ma
Charged particle in magnetic field experiences F=Q ( v X B)

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the charge 'Q' is constrained to move along a path in xy-plane in such a way that the distance between origin and the bob is "l", the velocity of the Q can be resolved in horizontal and vertical components. Since the horizontal component of velocity is in the direction perpendicular to the direction of magnetic field it also experiences Lorentz force along the direction to xy-plane.

$$F=-mg\sin(\theta)+BQv$$
Am I going in the right way? Do I need to find the solution for the above differential equation to know the equation of motion. If I take the derivative of equation of motion with theta and equate it to zero, will it give the minimum value of theta in this problem? Am I thinking in the right way? Or is there an elegant alternate approach to this problem?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-02-08 09.42.10.png
    Screenshot 2018-02-08 09.42.10.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 493
Physics news on Phys.org
Muthumanimaran said:
Since the charge 'Q' is constrained to move along a path in xy-plane
The problem statement says the B-field points "up" in the positive z direction, but your statement seems to imply that you are taking "up" as the positive y direction. Can you clarify what the coordinate axes are for this problem? Is there a figure or diagram that goes with the problem? Thanks.

Muthumanimaran said:
Am I going in the right way? Do I need to find the solution for the above differential equation to know the equation of motion. If I take the derivative of equation of motion with theta and equate it to zero, will it give the minimum value of theta in this problem? Am I thinking in the right way? Or is there an elegant alternate approach to this problem?
i was just thinking aloud ...if the magnetic field is acting on the charged bob it will give a force which is perpendicular to velocity i.e. it can not do any work..so the energy of the bob should be as its in gravitational field..so how you get a minimum angular displacement.

Moreover i agree with @ Berkemn's comment that the direction of the magnetic field may be clarified...the term vertically up..

Likes berkeman
drvrm said:
if the magnetic field is acting on the charged bob it will give a force which is perpendicular to velocity i.e. it can not do any work..so the energy of the bob should be as its in gravitational field..so how you get a minimum angular displacement.
Agreed. Maybe the pendulum rod is free to move in more than just a plane (ball hinged top?)...

1. What is a charged pendulum in a magnetic field?

A charged pendulum in a magnetic field refers to a physical system in which a pendulum with a charged particle attached to it is placed in the presence of a magnetic field. The motion of the pendulum is affected by both gravity and the magnetic force on the charged particle, resulting in a complex and interesting motion.

2. How does a charged pendulum in a magnetic field behave?

The behavior of a charged pendulum in a magnetic field is determined by the interplay between gravity and the magnetic force on the charged particle. Depending on the strength and direction of the magnetic field, the pendulum may exhibit simple harmonic motion, chaotic motion, or other complex behaviors.

3. What factors affect the motion of a charged pendulum in a magnetic field?

The motion of a charged pendulum in a magnetic field is influenced by several factors, including the mass and charge of the particle, the strength and direction of the magnetic field, and the length and initial angle of the pendulum. These factors can be adjusted to observe different behaviors of the pendulum.

4. How is a charged pendulum in a magnetic field relevant to real-world applications?

The study of charged pendulums in magnetic fields has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. For example, understanding the behavior of charged particles in magnetic fields is crucial for the design of particle accelerators and studying the effects of magnetic fields on celestial bodies.

5. What are some potential future research directions for charged pendulums in magnetic fields?

Some potential future research directions for charged pendulums in magnetic fields include investigating the effects of multiple charged particles on the pendulum's motion, exploring the behavior of pendulums in non-uniform magnetic fields, and studying the interactions between the pendulum and the surrounding environment.