Charging of capacitors in series

In summary: Since the capacitance is so small, the current flowing through the switch will be negligible and the voltage across the switch will be the same as the voltage across the open capacitor.
Nimbus2000
Hello everyone, I have a doubt about charging of capacitors in series. Suppose I connected two capacitors of same value, say,1 mF in series and put a bulb in series with them and applied a voltage 10V across the series. In steady state, the voltage across each capacitor will be 10/2=5V. Right?
The bulb will glow for a short time while charging the capacitors. Now, if I changed the capacitance to 1nF, still there will be 5V across each capacitor in steady state. Right? The bulb will glow for shorter time now(may not even be visible). So, as we go on reducing the capacitance, the glowing period of the bulb goes on decreasing but in steady state, voltage across each capacitance remains same 5V. Now, instead of capacitors, I just put two open switches in the circuit, will the voltage across each switch be 5V in steady state? I know the capacitance of the switch will be very small, but not 0. If no, how does the capacitance value affect this? Because, the voltage will be 5V, same for 1mF capacitor and 1nF capacitor. Instead if I just put two open switches, will it be same? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nimbus2000 said:
Hello everyone, I have a doubt about charging of capacitors in series. Suppose I connected two capacitors of same value, say,1 mF in series and put a bulb in series with them and applied a voltage 10V across the series. In steady state, the voltage across each capacitor will be 10/2=5V. Right?
The bulb will glow for a short time while charging the capacitors. Now, if I changed the capacitance to 1nF, still there will be 5V across each capacitor in steady state. Right? The bulb will glow for shorter time now(may not even be visible). So, as we go on reducing the capacitance, the glowing period of the bulb goes on decreasing but in steady state, voltage across each capacitance remains same 5V. Now, instead of capacitors, I just put two open switches in the circuit, will the voltage across each switch be 5V in steady state? I know the capacitance of the switch will be very small, but not 0. If no, how does the capacitance value affect this? Because, the voltage will be 5V, same for 1mF capacitor and 1nF capacitor. Instead if I just put two open switches, will it be same? Thanks in advance.
For the voltage sharing to happen, you must assume a value of capacitance, even for the case of the open circuit switch. And with these very small values of capacitance, you will need a current sensor capable of measuring the very short pulse and a voltmeter having extremely high resistance.

Nimbus2000 said:
In steady state, the voltage across each capacitor will be 10/2=5V. Right?
Maybe. Since no steady state current is flowing, there is no way to predict the voltage across each capacitor. For real capacitors the leakage current will determine the voltage across them.
Nimbus2000 said:
Now, instead of capacitors, I just put two open switches in the circuit, will the voltage across each switch be 5V in steady state?
Again, there is no way to tell (and if you measure the voltage, you are interfering with the circuit).

1. How do capacitors charge in series?

When multiple capacitors are connected in series, the same amount of charge flows through each capacitor. This results in the capacitors having different amounts of voltage across them, with the capacitor closest to the voltage source having the highest voltage and the capacitor farthest from the source having the lowest voltage.

2. What happens to the total capacitance when capacitors are connected in series?

In a series circuit, the total capacitance is equal to the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of each individual capacitor's capacitance. This means that the total capacitance decreases as more capacitors are added in series.

3. How does the charging time of capacitors in series compare to capacitors in parallel?

The charging time for capacitors in series is longer than for capacitors in parallel. This is because the same amount of charge must flow through each capacitor in a series circuit, resulting in a lower total current and slower charging.

4. Can capacitors in series be replaced with a single equivalent capacitor?

Yes, capacitors in series can be replaced with a single equivalent capacitor. The equivalent capacitance is calculated using the same formula as for total capacitance in a series circuit.

5. What are some practical applications of charging capacitors in series?

A common application of charging capacitors in series is in flash photography. The capacitors are charged in series and then discharged quickly to produce a bright flash of light. Capacitors in series are also used in electronic circuits to store and regulate energy.