Exploring Potential Differences between Conductors of the Same Charge

In summary: That's true, but the capacitance between two plates is still governed by C = Q/V, it just doesn't depend on the charge on the plates.
jezza10181
Hi,

I found the following question in a physics book, and so dusted off my 30yr old knowledge on capacitors and tried to answer it. The question is as follows :-

"Suppose two nearby conductors carry the same negative charge. Can there be a potential difference between them? If so, can the definition of capacitance, C = Q/V, be used here?"

My own answer is that, yes, there can be a potential difference between the conductors, but a no to the second part. There surely cannot be a capacitance type effect between the conductors as the charges are the same, and so would repel each other and therefore not want to 'accumulate'.

What do you think?

• Love
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
It would seem to me that each of the conductors has a capacitance, so that the voltage they each experience is proportional to the charge, (with a proportionality constant that is the inverse of the capacitance). The capacitance of the two conductors can be different, and thereby different voltages, even if the charge is the same.

Likes Delta2, alan123hk, sophiecentaur and 1 other person
jezza10181 said:
"Suppose two nearby conductors carry the same negative charge. Can there be a potential difference between them? If so, can the definition of capacitance, C = Q/V, be used here?"

I think this https://www.comsol.com/blogs/how-to-calculate-a-capacitance-matrix-in-comsol-multiphysics/ is a general method to solve the capacitance problem of multi-conductor systems, but it is more complicated and abstract, and it is usually not used when dealing with simple daily engineering problems. If you are interested, you can refer to it.

jezza10181 said:

My own answer is that, yes, there can be a potential difference between the conductors, but a no to the second part. There surely cannot be a capacitance type effect between the conductors as the charges are the same, and so would repel each other and therefore not want to 'accumulate'.

What do you think?
There is no potential difference between the two equally charged conductors since there is no E field between them (I am assuming two similar large plates.)

The formula C = Q/V is not wrong, it's just useless since both the numerator & denominator ## \rightarrow 0 ##.

• Skeptical
Likes Delta2
It depends on the geometry (their shape basically) of the conductors, if both have identical geometry and the same charge then there will be no potential difference. However if the two conductors have different shapes, then there will be potential difference even if they have the same charge.

Likes nasu
Delta2 said:
It depends on the geometry (their shape basically) of the conductors, if both have identical geometry and the same charge then there will be no potential difference. However if the two conductors have different shapes, then there will be potential difference even if they have the same charge.
Right, but I assumed two large (very large!) plates so fringing fields are negligible and the E field is zero "everywhere".

1. What is the purpose of exploring potential differences between conductors of the same charge?

The purpose of exploring potential differences between conductors of the same charge is to better understand the behavior of electric charges and the concept of electric potential. By studying the differences in potential between two conductors, scientists can gather information about the flow of electricity and the strength of the electric field.

2. How do conductors of the same charge differ in potential?

Conductors of the same charge can differ in potential due to a number of factors, such as their distance from a source of electric charge, their shape and size, and the material they are made of. These differences in potential can also be affected by the presence of other charges in the surrounding environment.

3. What methods are used to measure potential differences between conductors?

Scientists use various instruments, such as voltmeters and electrometers, to measure potential differences between conductors. These instruments work by detecting and measuring the strength of the electric field between two points, allowing for the calculation of potential difference.

4. How can potential differences between conductors impact the flow of electricity?

The potential difference between two conductors can affect the flow of electricity between them. If the potential difference is high, the electric charges will experience a stronger force and will move more quickly. On the other hand, a lower potential difference will result in a weaker force and slower movement of charges.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding potential differences between conductors?

Understanding potential differences between conductors is crucial in many practical applications, such as designing electrical circuits and systems. It also plays a role in the development of technologies like batteries and generators, which rely on the movement of electric charges. Additionally, this knowledge is important in the field of electrochemistry, where potential differences between conductors are used to drive chemical reactions.