Charles Kittel passed away....

• Thread starter member659127
  • Start date
In summary, Professor Charles Kittel passed away on May 15th, 2019. He was known for his famous book on solid state physics and his contributions to the Berkeley series on mechanics. He received numerous awards, including the Oliver E. Buckley Condensed Matter Prize and the Oersted Medal. He was also a highly regarded educator and author, with his books on quantum theory of solids, statistical physics, and thermal physics being must-reads for semiconductor physicists. Rest in peace, Professor Kittel.
member659127
Summary: Charles Kittel

Today by pure accident I have learned that professor Charles Kittel has passed away on 15th of May 2019, some ten days go. Generations of physicists have learned solid state from his famous book. Also to mention is the mechanics book in the Berkeley series. Some of the awards he has recieved:
I just wanted to start this thread to inform people since there may be many who would like to say few things about this great scientist and educator...

Attachments

• 1558701480621.png
    1558701480621.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 474
Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Cryo and atyy
Physics news on Phys.org
Although under rated, his text on the quantum theory of solids in my mind should be a must read for any semiconductor physicist.

Likes Cryo, Wrichik Basu, atyy and 1 other person
Great author, Quantum Theory of Solids, Statistical Physics, Thermal Physics are routinely my first go-to place. RIP

1. Who was Charles Kittel?

Charles Kittel was a renowned American physicist and professor emeritus at the University of California, Berkeley. He was known for his contributions to the field of solid-state physics and authored several textbooks that are widely used in undergraduate and graduate courses.

2. When did Charles Kittel pass away?

Charles Kittel passed away on May 15, 2019 at the age of 102.

3. What were Charles Kittel's major contributions to science?

Charles Kittel made significant contributions to the field of solid-state physics, particularly in the study of magnetic materials and the theory of ferromagnetism. He also helped develop the concept of spin waves in magnetic materials and contributed to the understanding of the properties of semiconductors.

4. How did Charles Kittel's passing impact the scientific community?

Charles Kittel's passing was mourned by the scientific community, particularly those in the field of solid-state physics. He was a highly respected and influential figure in the field and his contributions will continue to be recognized and utilized by future generations of scientists.

5. What is Charles Kittel's legacy in the world of science?

Charles Kittel's legacy in the world of science is significant and far-reaching. He was an accomplished physicist, educator, and author who helped shape the understanding of solid-state physics. His textbooks continue to be used in universities around the world, and his work has paved the way for further advancements in the field.