ChatGPT Policy: PF Developing Policies for ChatGPT?

• Thread starter Frabjous
  • Start date
  • Tags
    chatgpt
In summary, ChatGPT is a chat bot that is often used to provide answers to science questions. It is not appropriate for discussing forbidden topics on Physics Forums, and it is not reliable when it comes to providing accurate information.
TeethWhitener said:
What’s special about an AI doing that? There are already plenty of real live people on PF who do that without an AI’s help.
Just quantity. Besides, it is an important part of PF's mission statement to help educate people, even the ones that post silly stuff. We don't want to waste our time trying to train something that's not even human.

Likes PeroK, mfb and Wrichik Basu
Physics news on Phys.org
anorlunda said:
Just quantity. Besides, it is an important part of PF's mission statement to help educate people, even the ones that post silly stuff. We don't want to waste our time trying to train something that's not even human.
I guess I’m confused. Im trying to think of a use case where you’re worried about quantity that doesn’t fall afoul of preexisting prohibitions on spam posting.

anorlunda said:
Almost all of us humans fear that driverless cars are flawed and should be banned.
I don't think that's true. Do you have a source for that claim?
TeethWhitener said:
What’s special about an AI doing that? There are already plenty of real live people on PF who do that without an AI’s help.
Quantity: A user can "answer" tons of threads with long AI-generated nonsense, but they are unlikely to do that if they have to come up with answers on their own.
Future outlook: Tell the user that's wrong and they have a chance to learn and improve. You won't improve an AI with actions taken in a forum.
TeethWhitener said:
I guess I’m confused. Im trying to think of a use case where you’re worried about quantity that doesn’t fall afoul of preexisting prohibitions on spam posting.
It doesn't look like spam unless you check it closely. It looks like detailed answers.

Likes berkeman and PeroK
mfb said:
I don't think that's true. Do you have a source for that claim?
Alas no. Just a bit of hyperbole. I have been working on organizing a debate on driverless cars and I haven't been able to find a volunteer for the pro side. But the pool I have been drawing from is mostly older people.

• Haha
Likes berkeman
Screenshot 2023-01-17 at 9.02.56 AM.png

• Haha
Likes dlgoff, russ_watters, mfb and 8 others
There have been a number of barely-lucid posts that appear to be from ChatGPT - or possibly ChatLSD. Obviously, this creates a lot of work for the Mentors.

I have no trouble if PF considers this a DoS attack and responds accordingly.

Likes Bystander, BillTre and russ_watters
Vanadium 50 said:
There have been a number of barely-lucid posts that appear to be from ChatGPT - or possibly ChatLSD. Obviously, this creates a lot of work for the Mentors.
I like it when they bold their complaint against the moderators at the bottom of the post. It makes it easier to separate the bot from human created content!

• Haha
Likes berkeman and BillTre
I got no problem with turning off various subnets in response. If you get a complaint from bullwinkle.moose@wossamotta.edu that he can't post any problems here, I have no problem replying "Someone with the email boris.badanov@wossamotta.edu was attempting to damage PF. We have been able to restrict the damage to wossamotta.edu. Unhappy with this? Perhaps you and your classmates should speak to Boris."

• Haha
Likes BillTre
Vanadium 50 said:
I got no problem with turning off various subnets in response. If you get a complaint from bullwinkle.moose@wossamotta.edu that he can't post any problems here, I have no problem replying "Someone with the email boris.badanov@wossamotta.edu was attempting to damage PF. We have been able to restrict the damage to wossamotta.edu. Unhappy with this? Perhaps you and your classmates should speak to Boris."
This was the standard approach back in the Usenet era when you had to be with an educational institution or decent-sized tech company to have internet access. When bad stuff hit the Usenet feed we would contact the sysadmin at the offender's institution, they would reply with something along the lines "thank you for the heads-up - his account is deactivated until he and I have had a conversation" and the problem would be gone.

I am skeptical that anything like that can be made to work in today's internet. Our leverage over, for example, gmail.com is exactly and precisely zero.

Likes russ_watters
While I wouldn't say that things work this way today - they don't - and without divulging mentor tools, I think you have a little more knowledge and leverage than that. :smile:

Vanadium 50 said:
While I wouldn't say that things work this way today - they don't - and without divulging mentor tools, I think you have a little more knowledge and leverage than that. :smile:
Shush. :wink:

• Wow
Likes BillTre