Cheap and fast repair project suggestions

In summary: I can take apart most phones and do basic repairs on them. I have basic soldering skills. I've been doing this for a few years off and on, so I know what I'm doing.
theycallmevirgo
TL;DR Summary
What kind of repair projects would make the most sense in the $200-$400 dollar range?
As I mentioned elsewhere, I'm going to be completing my bench at some point in the not too distant future and I'd like to look at some repair projects that will a) show some net profit and b) make me look like someone worth hiring. Obviously I can do PCs and smartphones (and I will do some of that, of course) but I'd also really like to try some more advanced tht/smt stuff. My main interest is audio, but that's fairly broad in and of itself and I'm not even that picky, as long as I can make some money and practice my soldering. My current monthly budget gives me about $200-$400 to play with, so any suggestions in terms of broken items I could pick up on ebay or what have you and resell would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance for any help

Joe

Engineering news on Phys.org
theycallmevirgo said:
b) make me look like someone worth hiring.
Hiring for what kinds of positions? SMT Rework Technician? Engineering Technician? Junior Engineer?

Your Profile page says that you are in undergrad -- what is your major and which year are you (sorry if you've already mentioned it in a different thread). What is your ultimate career after you graduate?

Likes theycallmevirgo
berkeman said:
Hiring for what kinds of positions? SMT Rework Technician? Engineering Technician? Junior Engineer?

Your Profile page says that you are in undergrad -- what is your major and which year are you (sorry if you've already mentioned it in a different thread). What is your ultimate career after you graduate?
That's complicated. I'm going through some health issues right now, and it looks like the insurer isn't going to cover the treatments I need. So, I need to put some cash together a little more quickly. I'm in a community college electrical engineering technology program, and I hope that in 3 years at most I'll be working in the field at least part time. So, to answer your question more specifically, I hope to get some practical experience as an SMT/engineering tech before possibly returning to school full time for EE.

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:

But, thanks for reminding me to straighten out my profile. I'll get to that shortly.

Likes berkeman
I'm sorry to hear about your insurance situation. Been there.

Unfortunately, repair work won't make you the money you need in the time frame you need it. The market for small scale electronics repair has evaporated as the costs of manufacturing have plummeted.

Phone and computer repair/maintenance is probably your best bet if you insist on using your electronics skills. Most importantly, you can network and bring in jobs very quickly when anyone can become your customer. The most important thing is getting your name out.

Does your university have a large experimental physics / electrical engineering presence? If so, they might have a professional electronics shop. Try to get a job there. That's the best way to engage your interests and get paid. They may put you on inventory duty, but the projects they undertake are mind-boggling.

If you're trying to do EE technician-like jobs you might get lucky with layout and you could work on small projects with things like CircuitMaker (it's basically Altium-lite). If you can get your hands on Cadence Allegro that would be golden and you might be able to get access to it with a .edu e-mail. You can do several layout projects for free to pad the resume/CV, then have 1 or 2 of the projects fabbed and assembled. See what you can find about IPC standards (IPC 2221B is one of the main documents) and companies like Analog Devices and Texas Instrument they have app notes about layout and grounding; I also find some of the articles on signal integrity journal to be interesting although some of the topics might be advanced.

Thanks for the suggestions. I need less cash than you might imagine (for instance, quite a few of my problems could be solved with a replacement mattress) so I wasn't really looking to buy a maserati. My point was simply, isn't there something I could reliably buy on ebay in some state of disrepair, fix up, and resell?

Do you want to become EE or EE technician, or are you aiming to become a technician like a computer repair center or something?

Definitely EE tech. My father did 30 years in corporate IT, and it... didn't end well.

That aside, I can fieldstrip any desktop or laptop blindfolded.

1. What are some cheap and fast repair project suggestions for beginners?

Some cheap and fast repair project suggestions for beginners include fixing leaky faucets, repairing squeaky doors, replacing light fixtures, and patching holes in drywall.

2. How can I save money while completing a repair project?

To save money while completing a repair project, you can try DIY methods instead of hiring a professional, shop for materials at discount stores, and repurpose items you already have instead of buying new ones.

3. Are there any safety precautions I should take when completing a repair project?

Yes, there are several safety precautions you should take when completing a repair project. These include wearing protective gear, using tools properly, and turning off electricity or water before starting a project.

4. Can I complete a repair project quickly without sacrificing quality?

Yes, there are many repair projects that can be completed quickly without sacrificing quality. It's important to plan ahead, gather all necessary materials, and follow instructions carefully to ensure a successful and efficient project.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when attempting a repair project?

Some common mistakes to avoid when attempting a repair project include not having the right tools or materials, not following instructions carefully, and not seeking professional help when needed. It's also important to take your time and not rush through the project to avoid making mistakes.