Cheap, suitable one way valve for aspirator vacuum pump?

In summary, the conversation discussed a glass aspirator vacuum pump with a built-in one-way check valve that was no longer functioning properly after a week of use. The user is seeking a suitable, cheap valve to add in-line to allow vacuum pull but prevent water backflow when the input water is shut off. The initial thought was to use an aquarium check valve, but there were concerns about restricting desired flow too much. Other suggestions were made, such as soaking the valve in vinegar or using a manually operated shut-off valve, but ultimately it was determined that the valve needed to be replaced. The conversation also delved into the construction of the valve and possible alternatives.
joniverson
I have a glass aspirator vacuum pump that has a built in one way check valve, but after a week of use, it no longer functions and when input water is turned off, there is a sudden backflow of water into the vacuum line. I'd like to add a one way valve inline to allow the vacuum pull but not water reverse flow once the input water is shut off. What would be a suitable, cheap valve? First thought was to use an aquarium check valve, but I'm reading that they restrict desired flow too much (which in my case would be the vacuum flow). Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks, Ranger Mike, but I tend to avoid them due to unusually high shipping amounts. I found something similar on eBay though that I think will work. Appreciate your initial pointer.

joniverson said:
I have a glass aspirator vacuum pump that has a built in one way check valve, but after a week of use, it no longer functions and when input water is turned off, there is a sudden backflow of water into the vacuum line. I'd like to add a one way valve inline to allow the vacuum pull but not water reverse flow once the input water is shut off. What would be a suitable, cheap valve? First thought was to use an aquarium check valve, but I'm reading that they restrict desired flow too much (which in my case would be the vacuum flow). Thank you!
Sounds like the check valve is dirty. Could be that there is a mineral buildup in it. Try soaking it in warm White Vinegar overnight and flush it well in the morning.

If that doesn't fix the problem, do it again with some salt added to the vinegar. The salt and vinegar react to form Hydrochloric acid (HCl), which is much more active than the plain vinegar. Watch out for materials in you device that HCl will corrode, such as steel or any organics.

Tom.G said:
Sounds like the check valve is dirty. Could be that there is a mineral buildup in it. Try soaking it in warm White Vinegar overnight and flush it well in the morning.

If that doesn't fix the problem, do it again with some salt added to the vinegar. The salt and vinegar react to form Hydrochloric acid (HCl), which is much more active than the plain vinegar. Watch out for materials in you device that HCl will corrode, such as steel or any organics.

Tom, thanks. Nice idea, but in this particular glass aspirator, the valve appears to be some form of flexible plastic, almost like foam. At one point when pressure/ vacuum were reaching high levels, the foam broke away from its position and is now just floating around inside the aspirator body. So, sometimes it would happen to float back over the vacuum port once flowing liquid was stopped, and prevent any sort of water backflow; other times it doesn't even come close. Unfortunately, no way to fix without breaking the glass hence the need for an external valve.

Other than that, the unit seems to be doing a decent job. With hose clamps around all connections and using a 5L/min pump, I am getting 29" Hg. I can get more with ice water, close to 30" Hg, and I have just been thinking of switching to mineral oil as I'd only need about a gallon, but I have to be sure the check valve is working first or oh what a mess awaits!

Oh well, sounds like you are stuck with replacing it.
Hmmm, I wonder how they got the foam in there in the first place. Black Magic? Or did they add more glass far enough away from the foam to avoid thermal damage?

A manually operated shut off valve would probably be more reliable . Could be a proper screw down or plug cock valve - though a simple pinch valve might be worth trying first .

Tom.G said:
Oh well, sounds like you are stuck with replacing it.
Hmmm, I wonder how they got the foam in there in the first place. Black Magic? Or did they add more glass far enough away from the foam to avoid thermal damage?

Here's an image of it I found. Almost looks like they did add glass after placing the valve.

Nidum said:
A manually operated shut off valve would probably be more reliable . Could be a proper screw down or plug cock valve - though a simple pinch valve might be worth trying first .

Yes, I was thinking of that originally. Since the backflow only seems to occur once the liquid flow through the device is stopped, I could conceivably have a manual valve on the vacuum side that would be shut off just before the main flow is stopped.

joniverson said:
Here's an image of it I found. Almost looks like they did add glass after placing the valve.
Yea, looks like the final piece on the vacuum port was added; possible glued in (with sodium silicate solution?) after foam insertion. Ah well, gives you something as a curousity-satisfier when the rest of it becomes non-functional.

1. What is a one way valve for an aspirator vacuum pump?

A one way valve is a mechanical device used to control the direction of flow in a fluid system. In the case of an aspirator vacuum pump, it allows air to be pulled in through the intake tube while preventing it from flowing back out through the exhaust tube.

2. Why is a one way valve necessary for an aspirator vacuum pump?

A one way valve is necessary for an aspirator vacuum pump because it helps maintain a consistent vacuum pressure by preventing air from entering the system through the exhaust tube. This allows for a more efficient and reliable vacuum pump operation.

3. How do I choose a cheap, suitable one way valve for my aspirator vacuum pump?

When choosing a one way valve for your aspirator vacuum pump, it is important to consider factors such as the size and type of valve, compatibility with your pump, and the material it is made of. Look for a valve that is specifically designed for use with aspirator vacuum pumps and compare prices from different manufacturers to find the most affordable option.

4. Can I use any type of one way valve for my aspirator vacuum pump?

No, it is important to use a one way valve that is specifically designed for use with aspirator vacuum pumps. Using a valve that is not compatible with your pump can lead to leaks, decreased efficiency, and potential damage to your equipment.

5. How do I install a one way valve on my aspirator vacuum pump?

The installation process may vary depending on the type of valve and pump you have. However, in general, it involves removing the old valve (if applicable), cleaning and preparing the valve and pump surfaces, and securely attaching the new valve using appropriate fittings and sealants. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety precautions during installation.