Cheaper Pitot Tubes for Small Projects: Jack's Guide

• Thread starter jack1978
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pitot
In summary, the individual is seeking help in calculating the static pressure, velocity pressure, and final pressure of a small project involving a blower, hose, and pitot tube. However, it is suggested that a simpler and cheaper option, such as a water or mercury manometer, be used instead. It is also noted that the measurements may be distorted due to the size of the pitot tube and the vigorous flow of air.
jack1978
Hi,

I have a small project where I run air from a blower into a hose with one elbow (or joint) in there. I am trying to calculate the static pressure and velocity pressure as well as the final pressure at the end of the circuit and would imagine I need to use a pitot tube to do this.

My fan is small and the hoses are 1" - 2" in diameter. The airflow from the fan is approx 20 CFM.

I have looked online at pitot tubes and have not seen anything less than $300 for this tool.

Surely there is a cheaper way to do this or a cheaper version of this tool that students might use. It is not something I will use professionally so therefore do not want to spend $300.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack

Engineering news on Phys.org
Pitot tubes are not necessary to do what I think you want to do. Many flow set ups use simple water manometers to measure small changes in pressure, or mercury manometers if larger changes are anticipated.

Agree entirely with SteamKing, a simple manometer is your best bet.
Just finding a pitot that would fit into a 1" diameter hose would be challenging and I'd be skeptical of the measurements, because it would distort the flow materially.
Separately, 20 CFM in a 1" diameter hose implies a vigorous flow. There will be heating effects.

What is a Pitot Tube?

A Pitot tube is a device used to measure fluid flow velocity in a fluid stream. It consists of a long, thin tube with one end facing into the fluid flow and the other end connected to a pressure gauge. The difference in pressure between the two ends is used to calculate the fluid flow velocity.

Why are cheaper Pitot tubes needed for small projects?

Cheaper Pitot tubes are needed for small projects because they are often used for testing and experimentation purposes, where cost is a major factor. Additionally, small projects may not require high precision measurements and can benefit from a more affordable option.

What materials can be used to make cheaper Pitot tubes?

There are various materials that can be used to make cheaper Pitot tubes, such as plastic, aluminum, and PVC. These materials are less expensive than traditional materials like stainless steel, but can still provide accurate measurements for small projects.

Are cheaper Pitot tubes as accurate as traditional Pitot tubes?

It depends on the materials and construction of the cheaper Pitot tube. While they may not be as accurate as traditional Pitot tubes, they can still provide reliable measurements for small projects. It is important to carefully consider the materials and design when choosing a cheaper Pitot tube for a specific project.

Can cheaper Pitot tubes be used in larger projects?

It is not recommended to use cheaper Pitot tubes in larger projects where high precision measurements are required. These projects typically have stricter regulations and guidelines for measurement devices. However, cheaper Pitot tubes can still be useful for initial testing and prototyping before investing in a more expensive, accurate option.