Check sturm-liouville orthogonality problem

In summary, functions u, v satisfy the S-L equation $ [py']'+\lambda wy=0 $. u,v satisfy boundary conditions that lead to orthogonality. Prove that for appropriate boundary conditions, u' and v' are orthogonal with p as weighting factor.
ognik
Functions u, v satisfy the S-L eqtn $ [py']'+\lambda wy=0 $. u,v satisfy boundary conditions that lead to orthogonality. Prove that for appropriate boundary conditions, u' and v' are orthogonal with p as weighting factor.

I'm sure I need to use the orthogonality integral $ \langle u'|v' \rangle_p $ and show $ \int_{a}^{b}u'^*v'p \,dx=0 $, then u',v' orthogonal and p is the weighting factor

By parts, and taking u,v real for now to save writing the *, leaving off the limits and dx for brevity, $ \int_{a}^{b}u'v'p \,dx = v'pu-\int u(v'p)' $
This is promising because from boundary conditions the 1st term = 0 for both limits.

$ \int u(v'p)' = uv'p - \int v'pu' $ and again the 1st term vanishes from boundary conditions.

This leaves me with $ \int_{a}^{b}u'v'p \,dx = - \int_{a}^{b}u'v'p \,dx $, so that $ \int_{a}^{b}u'v'p \,dx $ must = 0. (u,v complex makes no difference to the above.)

Does this all work OK please?

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the BC's? If you look carefully, your two by-parts integrations are telling you exactly the same thing. That is, your second by-parts produced the same equation as the first one. I don't think it's warranted to conclude that $\displaystyle \int_{a}^{b}u'v'p \,dx = - \int_{a}^{b}u'v'p \,dx.$ You might need the original S-L equation. And you might need the orthogonality of the eigenfunctions themselves w.r.t. the weighting function $w$.

Thanks Ackbach, the BCs I am using are $ pu^*v'|_{x=a} = 0$ , ditto for x=b. Those make the 1st terms in my integrals vanish (0 - 0= 0).

I was consciously trying a repeated integral approach, could you give me a bit more detail on why you are not comfortable with it?

(repeated integral example: $ I = \int e^{x} sin(x) dx = -e^xcos(x) + e^xsin(x) - ∫ e^xsin(x) dx $
then $ 2I= -e^xcos(x) + e^xsin(x),$
then $ \int e^{x} sin(x) dx = \frac{1}{2} \left( -e^xcos(x) + e^xsin(x)\right) $ In my case I get $ 2I=0 $...

The S-L eqtn I am aware of is $ [pu']' - qy + \lambda w y = 0$ , if this is what you mean, I tried multiplying each by the opposite function and then subtracting - but couldn't make that work ...

I had used the orthogonality by applying the orthogonality integral, are there other orthogonality conditions I don't know of (or didn't think of)?

Yes, while the repeated by-parts trick can work in some situations, it doesn't work here. The problem is that you get an identity. So, just to make things clear, you have
\begin{align*}
\int_{a}^{b}u'v'p \,dx &= (v'pu)|_{a}^{b}-\int_a^b u(v'p)' \, dx \\
\int_a^b u(v'p)' \, dx &= (uv'p)|_a^b - \int_a^b v'pu' \, dx.
\end{align*}
Plugging the second by-parts into the first yields
$$\int_{a}^{b}u'v'p \,dx=(v'pu)|_{a}^{b}-\left[(uv'p)|_a^b - \int_a^b v'pu' \, dx\right]=\int_a^b v'pu' \, dx, $$
an identity. That is, you got back to where you started. So the repeated by-parts fails in such a case.

You do have an additional orthogonality condition: $u$ and $v$ are orthogonal w.r.t. the weight function $w$. That is,
$$\int_a^b uvw \, dx=0.$$
Now, using the fact that $[py']'+\lambda wy=0,$ or $[py']'=-\lambda wy$, I wonder if you can massage your first by-parts to get what you want?

Hows this?

$ [pv']=-\lambda vw$ times by u: $ uvw=-\frac{1}{\lambda}[pv']u $

$\therefore \int uvw=-\frac{1}{\lambda} \int [pv']u =0, \lambda \ne 0$ then $ \int[pv']'u = 0 $

By parts: $ upv'-\int pv'u' = 0 $ but by BC's, upv'= 0 for both limits, so $\int pv'u' =0 $ therefore u', v' orthog.

I just noticed I don't need to move the $\lambda$ across. Otherwise would appreciate just a yes if this is OK?

ognik said:
Hows this?

$ [pv']=-\lambda vw$ times by u: $ uvw=-\frac{1}{\lambda}[pv']u $

Sorry, I had forgotten about this thread! This needs to be $[pv']'=-\lambda vw$. You've got the right idea, though.

$\therefore \int uvw=-\frac{1}{\lambda} \int [pv']u =0, \lambda \ne 0$ then $ \int[pv']'u = 0 $

By parts: $ upv'-\int pv'u' = 0 $ but by BC's, upv'= 0 for both limits, so $\int pv'u' =0 $ therefore u', v' orthog.

I think if you fix the above issue, you'll have it.

Oops, sorry - just typos leaving out the '. Your help always appreciated, while I'm a bit more confident these days, I still wish I had answers to the books exercises so I didn't have to bother you guys as much ...

1. What is the sturm-liouville orthogonality problem?

The sturm-liouville orthogonality problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of a second-order linear differential equation, known as the sturm-liouville equation. The eigenfunctions of this equation are orthogonal to each other, which means they are perpendicular in a mathematical sense.

2. What is the significance of the sturm-liouville orthogonality problem?

The sturm-liouville orthogonality problem is significant in many areas of mathematics and physics. It is used to solve boundary value problems, such as the heat equation, wave equation, and Schrödinger equation. It also has applications in quantum mechanics, signal processing, and engineering.

3. How is the sturm-liouville orthogonality problem solved?

The sturm-liouville orthogonality problem is typically solved by applying boundary conditions to the sturm-liouville equation and using the eigenvalue method. This involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of the equation, which can be done using various techniques such as separation of variables, power series, or numerical methods.

4. What are some examples of sturm-liouville orthogonality problems?

Some examples of sturm-liouville orthogonality problems include the vibrating string problem, the heat conduction problem, and the quantum harmonic oscillator. These problems involve finding the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of the sturm-liouville equation in different physical contexts.

5. What are the applications of sturm-liouville orthogonality in real-world problems?

The sturm-liouville orthogonality problem has numerous applications in real-world problems. It is used in solving boundary value problems in physics, engineering, and other fields. It is also used in signal processing to analyze and filter signals, and in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of quantum systems.