On the orthogonality of Sturm-Liouville eigenvectors

In summary, the solutions to the Sturm-Liouville differential equation are considered to be orthogonal due to the property that the integral of their product is equal to zero. One of the assumptions that goes into this equation is that the solutions satisfy homogeneous boundary conditions. If the boundary conditions are inhomogeneous, the equation may not hold true. Additionally, even when the eigenvalues are equal, the solutions may not necessarily be equal, making it unclear if they are orthogonal. It is suggested to seek further clarification on this matter in a math forum.
mjordan2nd
From what I understand, solutions to the Sturm-Liouville differential equation (SLDE) are considered to be orthogonal because of the following statement:

[tex] \left( \lambda_m-\lambda_n \right) \int_a^b w(x) y_m(x)y_n(x) dx = 0 [/tex]

My first question involves the assumptions that go into this equation. One of the assumptions that go into this equation is that the solutions to the SLDE satisfy the Dirichlet, Neumann, or mixed homogeneous boundary conditions, correct? If the boundary conditions were inhomogeneous then the above equation would not necessarily be true, correct? Is it then correct to say that solutions to the SLDE are only orthogonal if they satisfy homogeneous boundary conditions?

My second question involves the case when [itex]\lambda_m=\lambda_n[/itex]. Since the SLDE is a second order ordinary differential equation there should be two linearly independent solutions for each eigenvalue. So even if [itex]\lambda_m=\lambda_n[/itex], that doesn't necessarily mean [itex]y_m=y_n[/itex]. In this case, it is not clear that these two solutions are orthogonal. I can buy that every eigensubspace of the SLDE is orthogonal to the others, however what about two vectors belonging to the same subspace?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't answer your specific question, but I think you would do better if you put this into one of the math forums.

mathman said:
I can't answer your specific question, but I think you would do better if you put this into one of the math forums.

Noted, and thank you. Will put it there.

What is the concept of orthogonality in Sturm-Liouville eigenvectors?

The concept of orthogonality in Sturm-Liouville eigenvectors refers to the property of these eigenvectors to be mutually perpendicular to each other. This means that the inner product of any two eigenvectors is equal to zero, indicating that they have no overlapping components.

Why is orthogonality important in Sturm-Liouville eigenvalue problems?

Orthogonality is important in Sturm-Liouville eigenvalue problems because it allows us to represent a given function as a linear combination of the eigenvectors. This makes it possible to solve the eigenvalue problem and find the corresponding eigenvalues and eigenfunctions.

How is orthogonality of Sturm-Liouville eigenvectors proven?

The orthogonality of Sturm-Liouville eigenvectors is proven mathematically using the Sturm-Liouville equation and the properties of inner products. By taking the inner product of two different eigenvectors and using the Sturm-Liouville equation, we can show that the result is equal to zero, thus proving their orthogonality.

What is the significance of the orthogonality of Sturm-Liouville eigenvectors in physics and engineering?

The orthogonality of Sturm-Liouville eigenvectors has significant applications in physics and engineering. It allows us to represent complex functions as a linear combination of simpler functions, making it easier to solve differential equations and analyze physical systems. It also has applications in signal processing, quantum mechanics, and fluid mechanics.

Can two different Sturm-Liouville eigenvalue problems have the same set of orthogonal eigenvectors?

No, two different Sturm-Liouville eigenvalue problems cannot have the same set of orthogonal eigenvectors. Each eigenvalue problem has its own unique set of orthogonal eigenvectors, which are determined by the specific boundary conditions and the differential equation being solved.