Checking a component for a lathe slideway for straightness

In summary: That looks to me like a partly-cropped snapshot of something pre-printed ##-## can you please, as @berkeman advised, provide the table that you showed in post #1, but with the empty cells filled in, and with model or sample expressions for the basis for how a result in a cell of a given type was obtained. Forum rules require that we see a reasonable attempt from you at your own solution, before we can say much about our specfic ideas about how we would get to a correct solution. You can click on the 'Terms' link on the footer of any page to read the PF policy on homework help.
Urika
Homework Statement
MANUFACTURE & MATERIALS
Relevant Equations
None
SCREENSHOT OF FIGURE ATTACHED!

A component for a lathe slideway was checked for straightness by means of an autocollimator and a reflector carriage whose base length is approximately 100 mm.The instruments were arranged as depicted in Figure 1. The reading at each position, starting at end A, was recorded and the reflector carriage was moved along the component in increments equal to the base length after each reading was taken.i) The autocollimator readings obtained by this procedure are given on Worksheet 1. Describe the methodology for obtaining these readings.

ii) Complete the table on Worksheet 1 and plot the graph of deviation from the straight line joining the end points, A and B.

iii) Determine the maximum deviation from the straight line joining these end points, and the maximum cumulative error.
iii) If the machine tool specification on the longitudinal level is equal to 0.018 mm/m, comment on how the results from the autocollimator will have on the suitability of the machine tool.https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/274451
Screenshot 2020-12-16 at 5.15.08 AM.png
Screenshot 2020-12-16 at 5.15.17 AM.png
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/274451

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums.

It looks like you still need to fill in the table and show your calculations. Can you do that so we can check your work? Thanks.

Likes Urika
berkeman said:
Welcome to PhysicsForums.

It looks like you still need to fill in the table and show your calculations. Can you do that so we can check your work? Thanks.

I need help on how to go about it. Please explain me a bit, I'll do it and then you can check.

SCREENSHOT OF FIGURE ATTACHED! Pls help me I am very confused

A component for a lathe slideway was checked for straightness by means of an autocollimator and a reflector carriage whose base length is approximately 100 mm.The instruments were arranged as depicted in Figure 1. The reading at each position, starting at end A, was recorded and the reflector carriage was moved along the component in increments equal to the base length after each reading was taken.i) The autocollimator readings obtained by this procedure are given on Worksheet 1. Describe the methodology for obtaining these readings.

ii) Complete the table on Worksheet 1 and plot the graph of deviation from the straight line joining the end points, A and B.

iii) Determine the maximum deviation from the straight line joining these end points, and the maximum cumulative error.
iii) If the machine tool specification on the longitudinal level is equal to 0.018 mm/m, comment on how the results from the autocollimator will have on the suitability of the machine tool..
Screenshot 2020-12-16 at 11.21.13 PM.png
Screenshot 2020-12-16 at 11.21.27 PM.png

Solution attached!
28506c89-0e44-47ae-805b-086aeaf1513c.jpeg

Solution attached
28506c89-0e44-47ae-805b-086aeaf1513c.jpeg

That looks to me like a partly-cropped snapshot of something pre-printed ##-## can you please, as @berkeman advised, provide the table that you showed in post #1, but with the empty cells filled in, and with model or sample expressions for the basis for how a result in a cell of a given type was obtained. Forum rules require that we see a reasonable attempt from you at your own solution, before we can say much about our specfic ideas about how we would get to a correct solution. You can click on the 'Terms' link on the footer of any page to read the PF policy on homework help.

Likes berkeman

1. How do you check a component for lathe slideway straightness?

To check a component for lathe slideway straightness, you will need a precision straight edge, a dial indicator, and a surface plate. Place the straight edge on the slideway and use the dial indicator to measure any deviations from the straight edge. Repeat this process at multiple points along the slideway to ensure accuracy.

2. What is the acceptable tolerance for lathe slideway straightness?

The acceptable tolerance for lathe slideway straightness varies depending on the specific machine and its intended use. Generally, a deviation of no more than 0.002 inches per foot is considered acceptable.

3. Can a lathe slideway be adjusted if it is not straight?

Yes, most lathe slideways have adjustment mechanisms that allow for minor adjustments to be made if the slideway is not straight. However, if the deviation is too large, it may require professional machining services to correct.

4. What are the consequences of a lathe slideway not being straight?

If a lathe slideway is not straight, it can result in inaccuracies in the finished product and cause premature wear on the machine. It can also lead to difficulties in achieving precise cuts and potentially cause damage to the tooling.

5. How often should a lathe slideway be checked for straightness?

It is recommended to check the lathe slideway for straightness at least once a year or whenever there are noticeable changes in the machine's performance. Additionally, it is important to regularly clean and maintain the slideway to ensure its accuracy and longevity.