Checking my answer/approach - specific gravity of a mixture

In summary, the specific gravity of a mixture containing 40% ethyl alcohol and 60% water can be calculated by multiplying the specific gravity of ethyl alcohol, which is 0.79, by the ratio of the two components. Assuming 100 mL of the mixture, the total mass would be 91.6 g and the specific gravity would be 0.916. This calculation is accurate if the percentages were measured by volume.
Cloud 9

Homework Statement

What is the specific gravity of a mixture 40% ethyl alcohol and 60% water? The specific gravity of ethyl alcohol is 0.79.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

He showed us a way to do it for another type of problem but I approached it a bit differently and I wanted to make sure my answer was logical/correct before submitting it. So what I did was this:

Assume 100 mL of mixture. Then you have 40 mL alcohol, 60 mL water.
Density of water = 1 = mass/60 mL; mass of water therefore = 60 g
0.79 = density of alcohol/density of water (1), so density of alcohol = 0.79
I set up a cross multiplication:

0.79 g/1 mL = x g/40 mL
I got 31.6 g of ethyl alcohol.

So the total mass of the mixture is 91.6 g.

Thus the density of the mixture is 91.6 g/100 mL = 0.916

Thus specific gravity of the mixture = 0.916/1 = 0.916.

Does this seem accurate?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's right, if the 60% and 40% were by volume.

1. What is specific gravity and why is it important in a mixture?

Specific gravity is the ratio of the density of a substance to the density of a reference substance. It is important in a mixture because it can help determine the composition and purity of the mixture, as well as its physical and chemical properties.

2. How do you calculate the specific gravity of a mixture?

To calculate the specific gravity of a mixture, you will need to know the densities of each individual component in the mixture. Then, you can use the formula: specific gravity = (density of mixture) / (density of reference substance).

3. What is the reference substance used for calculating specific gravity?

The reference substance used for calculating specific gravity can vary depending on the specific application or industry. Some commonly used reference substances include water, air, and pure substances such as gold or platinum.

4. Can specific gravity be used to identify the components in a mixture?

Yes, specific gravity can be used to identify the components in a mixture. Each substance has its own unique specific gravity, so by measuring the specific gravity of a mixture, you can compare it to known values and determine the components present.

5. Are there any limitations to using specific gravity in mixtures?

While specific gravity can be a useful tool in analyzing mixtures, there are some limitations to its use. It assumes that the components in the mixture are fully mixed and evenly distributed, and it may not accurately reflect the behavior of the mixture under different conditions such as temperature or pressure.