Chemical engineers working for space agencies?

In summary, the person is considering studying either chemical engineering or math&physics for their master's degree. They have questions about the job prospects for chemical engineers in space agencies and whether they would have a realistic chance of getting a job in the ESA with a math&physics degree. They mention a preference for studying chemical engineering, but would choose math&physics if there was no realistic chance of getting a job in a space agency as a chemical engineer. It is mentioned that chemical engineers can work in the aerospace sector, but they primarily work on material components rather than propulsion. Aerospace or mechanical engineering degrees would be the best option for propulsion engineering.
Nikitin
Hello. I am trying to choose between studying chemical engineering (MSc) or getting a master's degree as an engineer specializing in math&physics (yes, you can do that in my country).

For this I have questions:

1)Are chemical engineers needed in Space agencies? Perhaps working on spacecraft propulsion?
2) Am I being realistic if I hope to get a job in the ESA if I choose to study math&physics?

Honestly, I think I'd prefer studying chemical engineering, but I really like physics as well. If there is no realistic chance for me to get a job in a space agency as a chemical engineer, then this will probably tip the scale over to math&physics, for me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Chemical engineers can work in the aerospace sector although they don't primarily work on propulsion (aerospace engineers and mechanical engineers work primarily in the design of a rocket). Chemical engineers will mostly work on the material components of the space crafts but can certainly fill positions in navigation, materials design, and propulsion. It's a versatile degree that can let you work in a lot of places. Your best bet at propulsion engineering would be an aerospace or mechanical engineering degree.

1. What is the role of chemical engineers in space agencies?

Chemical engineers play a crucial role in space agencies by designing and developing advanced propulsion systems, life support systems, and materials for space exploration missions. They also work on projects related to spacecraft design, development, and testing.

2. What are some challenges that chemical engineers face in the space industry?

Chemical engineers working for space agencies face unique challenges due to the extreme conditions of space, such as high levels of radiation, vacuum, and microgravity. They also have to consider the limited resources available in space and the need for sustainable solutions.

3. How do chemical engineers ensure the safety of astronauts in space?

Chemical engineers work closely with other professionals to design and develop systems that support the safe and successful completion of space missions. This includes developing efficient life support systems, designing protective materials, and ensuring the reliability of propulsion systems.

4. What are some current projects that chemical engineers are working on in space agencies?

Chemical engineers are currently working on various projects, such as developing new propulsion systems for deep space exploration, creating advanced life support systems for long-duration missions, and designing materials that can withstand the harsh conditions of space.

5. How does the work of chemical engineers contribute to the advancement of space exploration?

Chemical engineers play a crucial role in the advancement of space exploration by developing innovative solutions that enable longer and more efficient space missions. They also contribute to the development of new technologies and materials that can be used in future space missions.