Engineering Physics or Mechanical?

In summary, being from Canada, applications for Universities are soon due! I am interested in a field of engineering. I am going for a Masters Degree that will allow me to work on green/renewable resources engineering, such as solar panels/energy. I would also love to apply this towards space technology/exploration; to work for a space agency. (but not required) [satellites, probes, rovers, etc. all use solar panels/energy] I've been leaning towards Aerospace, but now I'm going for Mechanical as it seems the best option, but I just recently heard of engineering physics. It seems very interesting as it ties many aspects together (quantum, electrical
MFrymus
Being from Canada, applications for Universities are soon due!
I am back in school upgrading my high school courses from a few years ago. Wanting to start a new career.

I am interested in a field of engineering. I am going for a Masters Degree that will allow me to work on green/renewable resources engineering, such as solar panels/energy.
I would also love to apply this towards space technology/exploration; to work for a space agency. (but not required) [satellites, probes, rovers, etc. all use solar panels/energy]

I've been leaning towards Aerospace, but now I'm going for Mechanical as it seems the best option, but I just recently heard of engineering physics. It seems very interesting as it ties many aspects together (quantum, electrical, etc). Then again, it doesn't seem to be as detailed as mechanical, if you know what I mean.

1) To work in the green/renewable energy industry, which undergrad program of the two would be best for me? Why?
Engineering Physics
Mechanical Engineering

2) Bachelor of Engineering or Bachelor of Science?

3) What would I be able to choose for my Masters Degree?

*I know that for the first year or more, the engineering programs have common courses, so I know Id be able to switch if needed. But I want to be safe and know what Engineering Physics does and what Mechanical Engineering does

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My thoughts were to take Engineering Physics as a bachelor's degree and then follow up on a Master's Degree in Mechanical Engineering.

The reason so is to allow me to understand the basic fundamentals of mechanical engineering in Engineering Physics, but also learning about the other things like optics, electrical engineering, quantum, nano, aerodynamics, etc.

It seems like it would be a better route to take as you get more knowledge in more stuff, which i could apply to my work.

Then again, I've been hearing that it is really theory based and research based instead of lab or hands on work. Heard it is also harder. And that it is also not necessary to take as I might just stick with mechanical engineering from undergrad to my Masters. Since engineering physics isn't as known as mechanical, if I end up finding a job before completing my Masters, it would be harder to get. Or simply, pointless to many jobs as no one needs an engineering physics degree...

---
The other negative point in seeing is, would having a master's degree allow me to work in green/renewable resources engineering. Rather than taking a Masters in Mechanical, maybe I can find a Masters Degree focused more on my field if choice?

A quick Google tells me some Canadian universities offer a masters in mechanical engineering with a focus on renewable energy.
Look further and you may find a bachelor in renewable energy (mechanical). this degree is offered in the UK and probably elsewhere.

billy_joule said:
A quick Google tells me some Canadian universities offer a masters in mechanical engineering with a focus on renewable energy.
Look further and you may find a bachelor in renewable energy (mechanical). this degree is offered in the UK and probably elsewhere.
There is a University that interests me that offers a Bachelors Degree for this:
Carleton University - Sustainable & Renewable Energy Engineering
I thought about this program, but I don't know...

I will probably focus on Renewable energy in my Masters Degree. But as a bachelors, a company would see and not know the differences between 'mechanical engineering' and 'sustainable & renewable energy engineering' or even 'engineering physics' degree. Most would prefer to see a mechanical engineering degree as they are familiar with what it is and what they teach. Secondly, if I limit myself to 'sustainable & renewable energy engineering', I may not have AS many routes and options as a mechanical engineer. Which is what worries me as well.

1. What is the difference between engineering physics and mechanical engineering?

Engineering physics is a branch of applied physics that focuses on using the principles of physics to develop new technologies and solve real-world problems. Mechanical engineering, on the other hand, is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, construction, and operation of mechanical systems. While engineering physics involves a strong foundation in physics, mechanical engineering involves the application of engineering principles to design and create mechanical systems.

2. What are the career opportunities for someone with a degree in engineering physics or mechanical engineering?

Both engineering physics and mechanical engineering offer a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as aerospace, automotive, energy, manufacturing, and more. Graduates with a degree in engineering physics can work as research scientists, product developers, or consultants, while those with a degree in mechanical engineering can work as design engineers, project managers, or manufacturing engineers.

3. Is engineering physics or mechanical engineering a more difficult major?

Both engineering physics and mechanical engineering require a strong understanding of mathematics and physics. However, the level of difficulty can vary depending on the individual's strengths and interests. Engineering physics may be more challenging for those who struggle with abstract concepts, while mechanical engineering may be more challenging for those who struggle with hands-on design and implementation.

4. Can someone with a background in engineering physics switch to a career in mechanical engineering?

Yes, it is possible for someone with a degree in engineering physics to transition into a career in mechanical engineering. While there may be some additional coursework or training required, the fundamental principles and problem-solving skills learned in engineering physics can be applied to a career in mechanical engineering.

5. What skills are important for success in engineering physics or mechanical engineering?

Strong analytical and problem-solving skills are essential for success in both engineering physics and mechanical engineering. Additionally, a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, as well as the ability to think critically and work in a team, are important skills for these fields. Good communication and time management skills are also important for success in any engineering discipline.