Why Do Bases Release All Hydroxides Simultaneously?

In summary: The equivalent point of the base titration with a strong acid is reached at pH 12.34, not at pH 14 - and that's because there is less OH- than you would expect.In summary, bases with multiple hydroxides do not lose all of their hydroxides at once. They have separate dissociation steps and dissociation constants, similar to acids. For example, calcium hydroxide has two dissociation steps with an equilibrium between CaOH+ and Ca2+ + OH-. This results in an equivalent point of pH 12.34 instead of 14 in a strong acid titration. This is due to the low solubility of the base and the formation of the CaOH+ complex.
fire9132

Homework Statement

Why do bases lose all of their hydroxides at once?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Polyprotic acids lose their hydrogen atoms in a step-wise fashion, but bases with multiple hydroxides do not do this. I'm not quiet sure why this occurs, but I think that it's because of the structure of the bases compared to the structure to the acids. If I had Sulfuric Acid and added it to water, it would form bisulfate ions (along with protons). If I had Calcium Hydroxide and added water, it would form Calcium ions and hydroxide ions. Is this because Ca(OH) isn't stable? The bisulfate ions are stable, but Ca(OH) isn't because the Ca essentially has just one valence electron and it would just be better for it to lose the other OH and become Ca2+? I'm not sure. Could someone tell me if my explanation is correct or if I'm completely wrong? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
fire9132 said:
Why do bases lose all of their hydroxides at once?

They don't, they behave exactly as acids do, with separate dissociation steps and separate dissociation constants. No idea why you think different.

My chemistry teacher asked that question... So I don't know...

Sorry to say that - your teacher is wrong.

Calcium hydroxide has two dissociation steps, typically we assume the first one to go to the end (very strong base), the second one has a commonly listed pKb value of 1.3 (or 1.4). Actually this is a rather complicated system, with low solubility of the base (so you need to take Ksp into account as well), but it is not that difficult to show experimentally that the solution contains substantial amount of CaOH+. That means there exists an equilibrium

CaOH+ <-> Ca2+ + OH-

and it is nothing else but base dissociation (technically indistinguishable from the CaOH+ complex formation).

Your explanation is partially correct, but there are a few other factors at play as well.

First, let's clarify the difference between acids and bases. Acids are substances that release hydrogen ions (H+) when dissolved in water, whereas bases are substances that release hydroxide ions (OH-) when dissolved in water.

In the case of polyprotic acids, they have multiple hydrogen atoms that can be released one at a time, leading to step-wise ionization. However, bases do not have multiple hydroxide ions that can be released in the same way. For example, calcium hydroxide (Ca(OH)2) only has one hydroxide ion that can be released, so it is not possible for it to lose multiple hydroxides in a step-wise fashion.

Additionally, the stability of the ions formed also plays a role. In the case of sulfuric acid, the bisulfate ion (HSO4-) is a stable ion due to its structure and charge. On the other hand, the calcium ion (Ca2+) formed from calcium hydroxide is also stable, but the hydroxide ion (OH-) is not as stable due to its high reactivity and tendency to form bonds with other ions. This can also contribute to the base losing all of its hydroxides at once, as the formation of multiple hydroxide ions is not energetically favorable.

Overall, the difference in structure and stability of the ions formed plays a significant role in why bases lose all of their hydroxides at once. I hope this helps clarify things for you.

1. What is chemistry?

Chemistry is a branch of science that studies the properties and interactions of matter. It involves the study of atoms, molecules, and their compositions, structures, and reactions.

2. What are the main branches of chemistry?

The main branches of chemistry are organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, analytical chemistry, and biochemistry. Each branch focuses on different aspects and applications of chemistry.

3. Why is chemistry important?

Chemistry is important because it helps us understand the world around us and how substances interact with each other. It also plays a crucial role in many industries, such as medicine, agriculture, and technology.

4. What is the difference between an element and a compound?

An element is a pure substance made up of only one type of atom, while a compound is a substance made up of two or more elements chemically bonded together.

5. How does chemistry relate to other sciences?

Chemistry is closely related to other sciences such as biology, physics, and geology. It provides a foundation for understanding the chemical processes that occur in living organisms, the properties of materials, and the composition of the Earth and other planets.