[Chemistry] colligative properties

In summary, the freezing pt of glucose is -1.8 degrees Celsius and the boiling pt is 55.6 degrees Celsius.
Ai_Shinya
I need help on colligative properties. I'm just Really really confused so it's better to explain this to me in steps. Anyone who took chemistry or who gets it please help!:cry: Just take a look at the problem =] thankyou

first question What is the freezing point of a soulution of 210.0 g of glycerol, HOCH2CHOHCH2OH, dissolved in 350 g of water?

-Formula: m=mol* # of particles/kg
I'm trying to find m
so far i got m=2.282608696 Mol * # of particles/.35 kg.
I have trouble finding the # of particles.

Second question A 0.171 g sample of an unkown organic compound is dissolved in ether. the soulution has a toatl mass of 2.470 g. The boiling point of the solution is 36.43 degree C. What is the molasr mass of the organic compound?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ai_Shinya said:
I need help on colligative properties. I'm just Really really confused so it's better to explain this to me in steps. Anyone who took chemistry or who gets it please help!:cry: Just take a look at the problem =] thankyou
first question What is the freezing point of a soulution of 210.0 g of glycerol, HOCH2CHOHCH2OH, dissolved in 350 g of water?
-Formula: m=mol* # of particles/kg
I'm trying to find m
so far i got m=2.282608696 Mol * # of particles/.35 kg.
I have trouble finding the # of particles.
I'll start helping with the first one...

I think what you're trying to solve for is molality, but you don't have the formula right.

molality = moles of solute/mass of solvent

You have the mass as a given, so you need to find the number of moles of solute (glycerol in this case). You'll have to determine the molecular weight of the glycerol (remember, the units for molecular weight are g/mol), and use that to determine the number of moles in 210.0 g.

Do you then know how to use the molality to determine the freezing point depression?

Hmm I'm still confused. Cuz that's the formula given by our chem teacher.
For molarity it's =moles(# of particles/kg)
I'm tyring to find molarity not molality l0l
thanks tho! ^^

Ai_Shinya said:
Hmm I'm still confused. Cuz that's the formula given by our chem teacher.
For molarity it's =moles(# of particles/kg)
Molarity is moles/liter. Check your textbook, you may have gotten it mixed up in your notes. All the words sound very similar, so it's easy to make mistakes during notetaking.

A mole is 6.02X10^23 molecules (that's Avogadro's number).

I'm tyring to find molarity not molality l0l
thanks tho! ^^
Yes, you need molality, not molarity. :smile:

Ai : Tell us what you plan to do after you find the concentration, 'm' (which, as Moonbear says, should be a molality).

Also, show what you've tried with the 2nd problem if you want to be helped with it.

l0l it's ok now, I've already turned it in. About the # of particles my teacher who hardly helps at all =( said that you need to know that for the boiling pt and the freezing pt. To find it you have to look at the ion chart that we're supposed to have and see if that solution is there. If it is it tells you how much it is on the top. the [-1 or +2 that thing] if it's not there then you put 1 as the # of particles. I know how to find the # of particles but then I'm still confused is there SUPPOSE to be a # of particle for boiling pt bc he said there's one for the freezing pt.

[question] calculate the freezing pt and boiling pt of a solution of 383 g. of glucose(C6H12O6), dissolved in 400 g of water.

Formula that i used
FBf=FBi+m(freezing constant)
m=g/g/mol
=0+m(freezing constant)
Now i don't know what to do with the 400 g of water and the 383 g of glucose. Are we suppose to plug in 383 as the g to find the molarity? and where do we plug in the 400 g of water?

Related to [Chemistry] colligative properties

What are colligative properties?

Colligative properties are physical properties of a solution that depend on the number of particles present, but not on the identity of those particles. These properties include vapor pressure lowering, boiling point elevation, freezing point depression, and osmotic pressure.

How do colligative properties differ from other types of properties?

Colligative properties are unique in that they are affected by the number of particles in a solution, rather than the type of particles. This means that a solution with a higher concentration of solute particles will have different colligative properties than a solution with a lower concentration, even if the solutes are different.

What is the significance of colligative properties?

Colligative properties have practical applications in various industries, such as food preservation, pharmaceuticals, and automotive technology. They also play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of solutions and the relationship between solute and solvent particles.

How are colligative properties calculated?

The colligative properties of a solution can be calculated using various equations, such as the van't Hoff equation for osmotic pressure and the Raoult's law for vapor pressure lowering. These equations take into account the concentration of solute particles and other factors to determine the colligative properties of a solution.

What factors can affect colligative properties?

The main factor that affects colligative properties is the concentration of solute particles in a solution. Other factors, such as temperature, pressure, and the identities of the solute and solvent particles, can also have an impact on colligative properties. However, the concentration of solute particles is the primary factor to consider.